Grinder height

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial ones are usually about 940-950 mm high. (kitchen worktops being about 910mm)
Like many things in life it depends upon your personal height, preferred stance and size of grinder body/wheel centre height, and the uses you wish to put it to.

I prefer my constant use item to be higher so that I can stand upright and have the working area within my normal eye-line focus without having to bend my back.

The correct height is what you find comfortable and convenient. I made myself a bench for my grinder and other tools and it's quite high but for me it's just right!

If you're comfortable at your lathe while turning the centre of the grinder should be at the same as that of your lathe.

I have my lathe centre height an inch or so above my elbow height, and my grinder centre height a few inches above that again. This may sound high, but it works for me, meaning that I don't have to stoop over to see what I'm doing. Glenn Lucas also advocates mounting your grinder high up for easier access and maneuverability.

Cheers
Aled

Many thanks for all your comments, I initially intended to put the grinder quite high up but it makes it more sense to put it a height your comfortable with, in my case just above normal lathe working height.

Back