Grinder for sharpening turning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Right chaps, I have the lathe, ordered the chisels after some great advice from yourselves, now I would like to ask if this is a suitable grinder for sharpening them.
I have had a dig through some old posts and so far it seems I am on the right track but would just like some confirmation before I part with her money..

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Would help to know which grinder you are looking at :lol: Just about any grinder is capable of doing the job, obviously selection of wheel type and grit size has a big bearing on how good a finish you can expect on the cutting edge. Simplest and minimum standard of wheel would be a 80-100 grit white oxide, preferably 40mm wide.

Operator ability and understanding of the geometry required and how to achieve it with or without the aid of jigs is an equally if not more significant factor to be taken into account.

After much (a little) thought I reckon I may go for the Axi on Blister's advice and maybe in the future?????

Thanks again
Andy

Andy

Any grinder will grind , but you need to think about it

1 a fast grinder will as it says grind fast , this has 2 disadvantages

1 it produces heat faster ( Bad ) and will blue the cutting edges of your new chisels making them soft ( not good for edges )
2 it will shorten the life of your new chisels considerably as it grinds away steel fast
3 once you have the shape you need on your chisels you only need the lightest of touches to sharpen again and dont need to heavy grind

With the Storme jig it cover every tool option for sharpening , gouges / skews / scrapers and can be used freehand on the platform for anything else :wink:

Afternoon Andy

I've got the 6" Record and it's 'OK'. The supplied wheels aren't particularly good, but you get what you pay for.

Have you looked round the Peter Child site?

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/

Lots of useful stuff there.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Andy,
I have been using a Record 8" grinder for years and it's always done the job for me. Personally I prefer 8" wheels to 6" wheels because it leaves a slightly less concave bevel.
Also, the Record grinder has a 40mm white wheel whereas the Axminster one only has a 32mm wide wheel. It doesn't sound much but you will find the wider wheel much better for sharpening, especially with a jig.
The faster grinding isn't a big deal, especially if you are using a jig. I don't find my tools disappearing fast because using a jig means you only remove a minute amount with each sharpening. Slow grinders do exactly that - grind slowly, so they take twice as long!
At the end of the day, they will all do the job. It's down to your budget and personal preference. Perhaps it would be an idea to find some local woodturners you could visit to try out their grinding setup?

Back