Grinder Chainsaw Disc attachment Safety alert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this year I managed to pick up a second hand dado set from a forum member who included with it an 8” version of one of these for use in a table saw…came with 4 different sets of cutters/profiles but the thought of actually fitting it to my saw terrifies me. Just the sheer mass alone is immense…scary stuff indeed. Locked away in a cupboard where it’ll hopefully biodegrade before anyone is silly enough to try doing anything with it other than using it as a rather stout paper weight!

Earlier this year I managed to pick up a second hand dado set from a forum member who included with it an 8” version of one of these for use in a table saw…came with 4 different sets of cutters/profiles but the thought of actually fitting it to my saw terrifies me. Just the sheer mass alone is immense…scary stuff indeed. Locked away in a cupboard where it’ll hopefully biodegrade before anyone is silly enough to try doing anything with it other than using it as a rather stout paper weight!

They can be dangerous if not used properly. They are meant for cast-iron cabinet saws, not job site or light weight contractor saws. One also needs to make a zero clearance throat plate for it and fingerboards beside and above it to keep the wood being molded on the table and against the fence. Basically the same way you would use a spindle molder. It is also wise to mold the edge of a wide board and cut the molded portion off rather than try to run stuff with a small cross section. It is far safer than the cutter head for angle grinders I linked where you are on the hairy edge of you loosing control of it and it looking for revenge. However if you don't want to use the molding head it I fully understand. I have a Williams and Hussey Planer / Molder for doing that kind of work so I have never bothered to look for one. Router takes care of anything the W&H can't.

Pete

Watching that video even though the nasty bits are thankfully not shown is terrifying. I did look at one of these when I wanted to do some power carving of a table top and decided at the time just from the look of it that it was to dangerous for me. Opted for the Kutzal blades instead which although can still get you are less aggressive and seemed less likely to bite into the wood and therefore kick back.

The fact that they had to issue a safety warning is a indication that there are people who would buy these tools but have absolutely no idea how dangerous they are. Can you imagine how suddenly that thing could kick back. An angle grinder can be bad enough at times.
You know just by looking at it, that it shouldn't exist. Looks like they will just be banned which is the best thing for them.

The fact that they had to issue a safety warning is a indication that there are people who would buy these tools but have absolutely no idea how dangerous they are. Can you imagine how suddenly that thing could kick back. An angle grinder can be bad enough at times.
You know just by looking at it, that it shouldn't exist. Looks like they will just be banned which is the best thing for them.

Yebbut how do they get "banned" when a simple order placed on Aliexpress (or possibly Banggood) gets the item winging its way to you for almost no money? What sort of controls are there to enforce restrictions or a ban?

Yes, this is a HUGE failing of consumer protection in the UK. All the big on-line Sellers can sell anything and not be held accountable. It's all wrong. The law should be changed to make the seller responsible for whatever they sell. This would include all the far east scam CE certified products, but that is never going to happen. No resources to police it.

There must be a balance between personal responsibility and regulation.

The anti-tobacco lobby probably had it right - a very clear and explicit "health warning" with pictures of dismembered limbs accompanied by the message "read the instructions - can seriously harm your health, leave you permanently disabled or dead".

Trying to sue Far East suppliers in the UK would be at best protracted and costly, more likely ineffectual!

Yebbut how do they get "banned" when a simple order placed on Aliexpress (or possibly Banggood) gets the item winging its way to you for almost no money? What sort of controls are there to enforce restrictions or a ban?

Just looking at Aliexpress for something else - at least 3 suppliers of the chainsaw disc at just £4.60 delivered. There are also quite a few dangerous looking mini-chainsaws for sale too. Madness.

Ooooh mini chainsaw! I need one!!! 😆
To be honest, i have to be careful with the 18v kit, ive got lots now, but its so light that often you forget its a dangerous tool ( the circular saw is so light, i wouldn't be surprised if theres more complacency )

Trying to sue Far East suppliers in the UK would be at best protracted and costly, more likely ineffectual!
yes, and they know it. They take advantage and sell dangerous stuff direct into the UK. It makes a complete mockery of our consumer protection laws and undercuts manufacturers in the UK who do certify products. There is no way to stop it..........but the flip side is that we do get a lot of great cheap stuff where safety is no real concern. I was designing a circuit for something. Had a look on Amazon and I could get the exact circuit 5 for £4.99 delivered. It's Amazion!!

Got to agree, you only have to look at the thing and think, what could possibly go wrong? Some people are just plain daft, or have no imagination. Especially when you think that if you have locked the thing on then after its had your hand off it going to go charging about causing further carnage. Makes you wonder who thought it would be a good idea to design such a thing in the first place.

Back