Grinder Chainsaw Disc attachment Safety alert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume that's tongue in cheek as anyone seriouly asking most certainly shouldn't be allowed near one. There is no place for an attachment of that kind any more than fitting a circular saw blade to an angle grinder but idiots are always going to do it anyway.
I have an Arbortech disc which is much safer but can still cause serios damage but at least no chain to fly off into your face at great velocity.
The numerous youtube videos showing potentially dangerous mods to tools really need to be better policed and removed.

I wonder if they are applying the comment from the angle grinder manufacturers’ perspective. 🧐
I doubt many (any?) of them would agree their tool was designed for use with one of these discs.

You only have to look at the thing to realise it's potentially lethal. Some of the daft things you see people doing on you tube make you wonder whether they are just really stupid, or have no imagination. I mean what could possibly go wrong :unsure:

Ya I mean it's not so hard to rig the thing to something...
Not sure if a pillar drill would be skookum enough for the task,
but an example that there is three handle options on most grinders which can be utilized.

SAM_4411.JPG

Ya I mean it's not so hard to rig the thing to something...
Not sure if a pillar drill would be skookum enough for the task,
but an example that there is three handle options on most grinders which can be utilized.

View attachment 113473
At least if it goes Pete Tong then it's going to take a chunk out of the drill rather than you! I have one of the stands that let's you use your 125 mm grinder as a chop saw, really useful.

I think this one is scarier than the chain discs.
https://www.wish.com/product/5c9227...8QIVwT2tBh0icQBSEAQYCiABEgK4o_D_BwE&share=web
To the best of my recollection the first disc on the market was solid with the chainsaw like teeth formed in the edge of the solid disc. They went by the wayside quickly because they wore out fairly quickly and could only be sharpened a limited number of times. Then came the chainsaw chains between a couple discs. Problem with them is the teeth spacing from chainsaw chains makes them more grabby. The "second generation" of those used special chains with finer teeth in every link. They kept more teeth in the wood at the same time (much like a fine tooth saw) making them a little more controllable. Problem now is with import brands on the market there are the chainsaw chains among them and large teeth every tooth versions on the market making them more dangerous but people don't research looking for the best, they go for cheap. Then the carbide insert and Carbide imbedded grit varieties came along which while somewhat safer still require healthy respect. Like any tool if the inherent dangers aren't respected and understood there will be injuries with new users getting hurt most often. Most often it isn't the tool that is the problem it is the tool using it that is.

Thats a darwin award tool waiting to happen, the nanosecond one of those bolts comes loose the cutter will be flying anywhere at high velocity leaving the cutter head violently unbalanced. Dont think i will buy one of those.

I think this one is scarier than the chain discs.
https://www.wish.com/product/5c9227...8QIVwT2tBh0icQBSEAQYCiABEgK4o_D_BwE&share=web
To the best of my recollection the first disc on the market was solid with the chainsaw like teeth formed in the edge of the solid disc. They went by the wayside quickly because they wore out fairly quickly and could only be sharpened a limited number of times. Then came the chainsaw chains between a couple discs. Problem with them is the teeth spacing from chainsaw chains makes them more grabby. The "second generation" of those used special chains with finer teeth in every link. They kept more teeth in the wood at the same time (much like a fine tooth saw) making them a little more controllable. Problem now is with import brands on the market there are the chainsaw chains among them and large teeth every tooth versions on the market making them more dangerous but people don't research looking for the best, they go for cheap. Then the carbide insert and Carbide imbedded grit varieties came along which while somewhat safer still require healthy respect. Like any tool if the inherent dangers aren't respected and understood there will be injuries with new users getting hurt most often. Most often it isn't the tool that is the problem it is the tool using it that is.

Well, it does declare them to be ‘detachable’, that they can detach on their own at high speed is a feature?

So, just for my own curiosity: looking at the insane 3x detachable edge disc, the cutters are 24x18x3 mm of steel (8g/cm3), their centre-of-mass is 78 mm from the centre of the disc rotating at 14,000 rpm giving a speed of ~57m/s. The Kinetic Energy in one of those is therefore ~180 J.

For a real-world comparison, that is 20% higher than a .22 caliber bullet (which is not sharp).

So you effectively have 3x bullets ready to fly off in any direction as soon as one of those screws loosens, which are attached to a machine almost designed to vibrate ... true madness ... what testing did the manufacturers do?

I think we might have just topped my wife's list of dangerous tools :)

Her comment on these - take the worst aspects of an angle grinder and a chainsaw and combine them... she has seen quite a number of hand injuries from these, but I don't think she has seen the milling version yet - will have to show her... the only good thing about them is that it makes normal tools look so much safer!

But it says in the description what it can be used for:

Can be used for woodworking, wood carving, root carving, polished tea trays, coffee tables, amputations etc.

But it says in the description what it can be used for:

Can be used for woodworking, wood carving, root carving, polished tea trays, coffee tables, amputations etc.
I blame it on the youth of today: always in a hurry, no time to enjoy the process. What's wrong with carving with a couple of gouges and a pen knife for the fiddly bits? I don't know, it's just rush, rush, rush; no thought of the consequences, always looking for the quick fix. I think I might write a letter to The Times - somebody really ought to do something.

Just saw this on a D&T technicians group on fb, Goverment just issued a safety alert on grinder chainsaw disc attachments, may be of interest to some of us, & may save someone from removing bits of themselves.
, UK Safety Alert issued for angle grinder chainsaw disc attachment,
A bit of deja vu, I first looked on this forum a few years ago when these things started to appear as free adds on youtube etc, it was still in the days when most tools came from reputable brands. On this or a similar forum someone recounted how a friend used an angle grinder on a log and was killed having severed their carotid artery on kick back. It was that and a few more bits of advice that lead me to eventually sign up to this forum, a choice I should have made years ago.

So you effectively have 3x bullets ready to fly off in any direction as soon as one of those screws loosens, which are attached to a machine almost designed to vibrate ... true madness ... what testing did the manufacturers do?
I guess the retail public are conducting the beta test and await AKirk's misses data before designing an even more lethal tool

I guess the retail public are conducting the beta test and await AKirk's misses data before designing an even more lethal tool
When I mentioned this thread and that option with screws that could come loose, she was impressed by the stupidity of anyone who would use one but did point out that they are unlikely to need a hand operation from her - more likely to end up in the mortuary!

These should be banned too 3 PCS 115mm Carbide Saw Blade 4.5" Angle Grinder Circular Saw Blade for Woodworking Cutting Wood Plastic 40 Teeth : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Why anyone would ever attempt to use a circular saw blade in an angle grinder I do not know. It's bad enough using a thin cutting disc that breaks in use. But they do. Friends nephew used one of these. It kicked and he cut into his arm so badly they only just saved it. Even the 3rd amazon review I just looked at has someone saying it jumped into his leg!

Back