Grinder bought!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
Well look what the postie brought me today!
IMG_20210129_123404.jpg

OK, I know it's not a fancy Tormek or Sorby or a CBN thingmie but it's perfect for me and I thank everyone who helped me along the road to it's purchase. It was quite hard to get for its RRP. It was sold out almost everywhere and the ones all over eBay are often selling for upwards of £150, which is utterly mental.

I now have the lathe, chucks, the chisels, the grinder and plenty timber to practice on. Happy days eh?

Damo

Last edited:
Take the wheels off and make sure the spindles aren't rusted - (don't ask me how I know that you should do this).
Hopefully all is well and you can go on to enjoy what is a decent value grinder :)

Well look what the postie brought me today!
View attachment 102067

OK, I know it's not a pineapple Tormek or Sorby or a CBN thingmie but it's perce tfor me and I thank everyone who helped me along the road to it's purchase. It was quite hard to get for its RRP. It was sold out almost everywhere and the ones all over eBay are often selling for upwards of £150, which is utterly mental.

I now have the lathe, chucks, the chisels, the grinder and plenty timber to practice on. Happy days eh?

Damo

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Thanks guys, I got one of the multi jigs from the guy that makes them and sells them on eBay. Roll on Monday at the workshop. All I need to do now is knock up a pedestal for the lathe, it'll be getting bolted to both the wall and into the concrete floor, should be fairly solid :)

I've had the 8" version for years with no problems whatsoever. The one 'improvement' I made was to get rid of the Grey wheel and replace it with a CBN wheel. By no means cheap, but the difference is remarkable. The White wheel is used for re-profiling.

I wish I'd have seen the 447 before I ordered my tru-grind (I'm not 100% happy with it). Tempted to put it on Ebay and order the Sorby.
The Sorby 447 has a lot of issues and limitations...I'm surprised they are still selling it. IMHO the £34 eBay jig is all any hobby turner needs.

Back