grinder advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, have just taken delivery of a new Perform CCWSG Whetstone Grinder , its a replacement for the previous one which was damaged in transit. However this one has also been damaged in transit. Now while I can live with the damage this time (one of the cast feet with the bolt hole in has broken away) there is also another problem. I fired up both of the grinders to look for other damage and discovered that the whetstone wheel on the first oscillated quite badly, I presumed that this was the result of whatever bump had caused the other damage but the replacement grinder suffers the same problem. I was told by APTC customer services when I contacted them about the first grinder that it was a cheap model and basically you get what you pay for (re the oscillating wheel), a very helpful chap in their tech dept then told me that while they were cheaper models they were still fit for purpose or they wouldn't be selling them. Anyway he despatched a new one to me and dropped a diamond dressing block in the box as well. Question is , should the whetstone wobble noticeably? or run true on its axis. Does that wobble mean, as I suspect, that one could never use it to get a straight edge across a chisel or plane blade without major attention with the diamond block to essentially reshape the stone so that the oscillation around the spindle / axis doesn't translate to the abrasive surface of the stone? THanks for any advice you can offer, I guess Ill have to ring them again at some point this afternoon if its going to go back least I can badger them about not having got a catalogue yet.

Hi mr,

Not sure if I am correct or not but as long as the stone surface is parallel to the spindle it dose not matter if the stone oscillates up and down the tool will follow the surface. If the stone oscillates sideways this should not mater either.

Some one will no doubt prove me wrong :) , but sometimes I use an old hand one in the garden without too much problem.

all the best
Neil

If the tool is being held in a jig of some sort it will not follow the wobble of the wheel.

I had the Clarke version, the wobble was play in the spindle not the stone, gave it to my brother and bought a Tormek instead.

Jason

HI Thanks for your reply I may not have explained what I meant clearly. the whetstone wheel if viewed top down appears to move in a wave motion along its axis as if the spindle is bent. It appears to me that the surface of the wheel will therefore move in an arc accross anything placed against it.
Mike

to essentially reshape the stone so that the oscillation around the spindle / axis doesn't translate to the abrasive surface of the stone?

Unless it is really, really bad wobble, I'd have thought trueing a whetstone with the diamond dresser should be quite quick to do. In my apprenticeship, I was taught always to dress a new grindstone. But this was more mainly so for high speed wheels where imbalance could cause premature damage to the spindle bearing.

Ike

Hi mr
I have the same model.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-Perform-CCWSG-Whetstone-Grinder-21739.htm

Mine also wobbles around a bit. It runs out by about 1mm sideways, I have not dressed the wheel and it still works ok. I don't use a jig though, I just work by eye which obviously has some allowance for the wheel. I get an edge that I'm happy with, then finish on an oilstone.

Not sure I would have bought a Tormek even if I could afford one. For £30 I think the price reflects the quality that I expected. Mind you, mine arrived undamaged. I think you should at least get one thats not been thrown round the pack of a van. :)

Cheers
Lee.

Alas a fair bit more than 1 mm run out , I would guess at 4 -5 mm each side of centre. Thing is its the same as the first one I had which suggests that its more a feature than a flaw. Collection arranged anyway - back to the drawing board eh.

Mike

From your description, I would guess both grinders have been dropped or thrown from the same distance. That wheel will have a lot of inertia and the shaft is relatively soft. I don't think they would get out of the factory bent like that cheap product or not. Why not give it another try, axminster are footing the bill perhaps they will use one of their own delivery vans to guarantee no bounce arrival.

Alan

I would guess both grinders have been dropped or thrown

That was my feeling especially seeing as both had other broken parts. The water trough smashed on one and the cast(?) base where the bolt holes are on t'other. But was starting to wonder whether this was a feature as I said earlier. Both spindles do look "curved" though on the second machine theres no other indication of damage in that area (the wheel on the first was chipped as well). Apparently Im being given a credit note on the account (that I didnt know I had) and Ill pop over there at some point and have a look at some more examples to see if they all wobble.

Latest posts

Back