Grey Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just starting a new project, two bedside cabinets. Pulled out 4 lengths of AWO to make the sides and planned one face. Most of the boards are a nice "oak" colour, pinkish, brownish, you know. One board is quite grey and doesn't really match the others. This is nothing unusual, I have had boards like this in the past. I usually use them for drawers or places that will not be seen easily.

I don't know how many boards I will find like this but it seems a shame to hide what is otherwise good wood. Does anybody know of a way of lightening the colour? I thought of oxalic acid as that will remove stains, but a whole board? What about hydrogen peroxide? Both chemicals are, I believe, bleaches and so should lift the greyness although I am not sure what colour would remain.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on this before I resort to my usual poke and hope approach?

Bob

Oxalic acid should do the trick - I've used it on quite large areas as well as specific water/iron stains.

Bob

Back