Greetings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkAW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
A newbie to the forum. Thought I'd say hi.
My name's Mark. I've had a interest in woodworking for a long time but it's only recently that I've decided to set myself up a workshop and kit myself out with some missing essentials (and a few cool machines). I'm pretty handy all round: Landscaping, bricklaying, electrics, decorating, mechanics, but I've only recently realised that working with wood is what I enjoy the most (that, and decorating is tedious :D ) When I'm not in the garage I'm mountain biking or looking after my 7 month old (lots of toy projects coming soon)

I've been reading various posts on this forum and found the info and knowledge shared really useful. Especially the workshop build threads. Having not thought about footprints & space when buying a table saw, router table, planer and pillar drill to fit in my already quite full single car garage, I now find I'm going to need a storage shed to store the gardening tools, old tins of paint and other bits of junk accumulated. I've designed it and I'll start a thread for that soon.

I also recently (before lockdown 2) made my first trip to a timber yard to get some hardwood, what a harrowing experience that was (with no cutlist!). Next time I'll go prepared knowing exactly what I want

anyway, see you about the forum.

Welcome - not been here too long either but the folks are really helpful!

Padster

Welcome. Building a workshop awesome fun to plan, do, and use. Visiting a timber yard, been less than a dozen times and I feel like I’m starting a new school each time, it’s terrifying.

Fitz.

I also recently (before lockdown 2) made my first trip to a timber yard to get some hardwood, what a harrowing experience that was (with no cutlist!). Next time I'll go prepared knowing exactly what I want

Welcome. Building a workshop awesome fun to plan, do, and use. Visiting a timber yard, been less than a dozen times and I feel like I’m starting a new school each time, it’s terrifying.

Hah! Some of the yards around here aren’t for the faint of heart! It’s probably the awkward b*st*rd Cumbrian farmer in most of them.

However, most of them aren’t too bad if you do a little bit of research about what they stock and go in with a solid idea of what you want. As @MarkAW found, showing up without a cut list is something they’ll only tolerate grizzled grey-haired contractors doing. 😀

Cheers!

Scott...

It was a grumpy young lad I had that felt like he didn't want to be there. I was only after a few bits of oak and beech to get some small projects started. Also a bit of a suss the place out. They seemed to mainly cater to builders/contractors/fencing that sort of thing.
Didn't manage to get the beech, order only.
I have another place to try a bit more locally, not many round here (Worcestershire)

Back