Greene & Greene Rocking Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noel, an absolute delight. My old boss was a lover of Greene and Greene, which showed in some of the designs he did for his clients.

Regards

Woody

Nice one!
I love G+G stuff-lots of inlays and ebony but a great oriental flovoured look.(I'm a bit of an Arts and Crafts lover too)
Definitely not a "quick" project to knock together byt the look of it!
Cheers
Philly :D

Noel

Really nice rocker, although I'm not to sure I could make it.

Philly":1hb3u8vj said:
.(I'm a bit of an Arts and Crafts lover too)

So thats why we had to go round the A&C at the Ally Pally?

Noel,
Thanks for posting. Darrell's site is one I like very much but I haven't visited for a while and had not seen the rocker.

It looks quite daunting to me. I would say that it is definitely more complicated than the Hal Taylor chair mainly owing to the number of joints.

I know what he means about time spent on jigs! Having made one of these you would need to make another dozen to get your "moneys worth" out of all the jigs. They also take up a lot of room and you need somewhere to store the darn things when you are not using them.

I take my hat off to his design - it is very hard to design something like this. The chair should look splendid when finished.

That is a beautiful piece of work - nice find, Noely :D

Simon, I love the rocker in your link - if you find any more info, please would you let me know? And vice-versa of course!

Cheers,
Neil

NO Waka-I don't like "Craftshows", I like "Arts and Crafts" style furniture :roll:
You crack me up Gloatster :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

No Probs Neil I have a bigger picture of it in one of my old Fine Woodworking mags so I'll post a pic from there and also the name of the company who used to make them......

I did a little search on the net for them , but it didn't turn up much....

Simon

To be honest, I've never heard of Greene and Greene. Anybody got links to some more nice pieces ?

I like the rocker :wink:

Neil, I just found that FWW with the pic of the rocker in......

"the Rhythm & Snooze maple rocker made by Cato furniture of Bristol"

It won the masters young enterprise award from the worshipful company of furniture makers in 1992. An the picture was in the Feb 1993 issue of FWW.

If I remember tonight I'll try and take a bigger picture of it.

Simon

PS. Just done a little more googling and I've found their site

www.cato-design.com
Enjoy!

Thanks Simon - thats excellent. I wonder if we can do some clever perspective CAD work to extract some drawings :?

Neil

I could probably make up some 3d draws given some time as I work with these kind of programs for a living. I also usually do them for every project I make........

I think with out trying a few different test mockups you could end up making something which is really nice to look at but bloody uncomfortable to sit in, nothing a big leather cushion wouldn't sort out though :D But I'd love to have a shot at building something like this, I have an itching to play with some laminations :)

Simon

It is a super stylish thing. I reckon that it shouldn't be too hard to make either. The laminating forms will be very big, especially for the "legs/arms" and that will probably be a challenge. Also the clamping arrangements for the "folded over" part of the seat laminations may be tricky - avoiding interference between the clamps.

I think you're right that it wouldn't be too hard, Chris - certainly compared to the Hal Taylor or G&G rockers anyway! Do you think all the laminations are from the same former? I thought at first that they were all slightly different, but I've changed my mind having seen the pic on the Cato website.

Also what do you think they have used as the laminations, considering the very tight bend at the front?

Neil

Neil,

I also wondered about the laminations being from the same form and came to the conclusion they were. If not, that places a rather different complexion on things - may need to make two or three different ones I guess.

I think most timbers could make the bend in laminations thinner than 3/32 inches. If not, a bit of localised encouragement with steam or boiling water should do.

Thanks, Chris. I'm very tempted to give this a go, but the phrase about learning to walk before I can run springs to mind!

Neil

Back