Green oak, post/beam joint.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be so modest mate :) If that's the first time time you've done that a couple of holes and pegs will be a doddle! I'm darn sure I couldn't have done that as neatly on the first go.

Don't be so modest mate :) If that's the first time time you've done that a couple of holes and pegs will be a doddle! I'm darn sure I couldn't have done that as neatly on the first go.

I'm much more used to working in metal where you can just weld a hole up and try again if something goes wrong 😉

Me and MrsG got them up onto the landing yesterday afternoon. Just another 7 feet straight up to go.

slope1.jpg

slope2.jpg

slope3.jpg

slope4.jpg

Well done. You just need to do the staircase now.....

I was in two minds about the relief chamfering when I saw it in your earlier post, but seeing it at the top of the stairs I think its a good idea. Avoids splinters on sharp corners!

Yeah it will be grabbed quite a lot just at the top of the stairs.
To that end any recommendations for what to treat it with to avoid a build up of greasy hand marks?
Something that does not prevent it naturally changing colour would be favourite.

The newel post and 70's handrail will be tackled in the future ;)

I would not treat it with anything. I made the mistake at my wife's request to put a finish on a timber framed extension built as a music room. I hate it. Bare wood looks far more authentic for beams.

Last edited:
You must be well pleased with that! Great job!
I'm with AJB on finish.
A quick sand every 6 months on the tiny area that will get handprints.
Just my opinion of course.

Latest posts

Back