Green Oak for Door Frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an exterier door frame to replace and Im wondering if I could use oak? I know its prone to sectional shrinkage and maybe is a bit wilful along its length but it would of course be secured in place. Whats the general feeling about Oak in an application like this?
Steve.

I would not use green oak for a door frame, it will of moved so much by the time your hung your door let alone after it's dired out a bit.

Seasoned or dried Oak would be fine but if you are painting it I would go with a cheaper wood.

I have an exterier door frame to replace and Im wondering if I could use oak? I know its prone to sectional shrinkage and maybe is a bit wilful along its length but it would of course be secured in place. Whats the general feeling about Oak in an application like this?
Steve.
It depends on how straight the grain is of the tree from which it was cut and also the type of cut that was used to convert it.

For general stability and lack of splitting you want a quartered section, but this will dry to a rhomboid shape.

So unless you have a massive door with a large rebate on the frame, think 16th century manor house, I wouldn't bother.

Many thanks, and Im not really surprised by what Im hearing,,though I had to think a bit when visualising a Rhomboid! I have had some oak under cover for nearly two years and will see what it presently looks like,,but its going to be a regular size domestic door frame.

Back