Great British Workshop on Wed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched the first 3 shows of GBW on Wed.THANK GOODNESS that,at last ,we have a BRITISH woodwork show of quality.I am so tired of the rubbish we have been fed so far with jokey presenters,relentless brain-numbing music,and camera-work that would make you scream with frustration.It may have shades of Norm in it's style which is both entertaining and instructional, but for me it scores over Norm so far in the choices of projects that are better suited to our less spacious British homes, with styles more suited to us too---a pleasant relief from Shaker furniture!
I found it very entertaining, well presented with clear instruction, intelligently shot and edited,and look forward to further shows,I sincerely hope GBW is here to stay.

Hi all

For anybody, like me, who missed the first three shows they are being repeated on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 14.00 - 14-30.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil

In addition it appears they are also showing a couple of previous shows on wednesday night as the schedules read that the show is on from 22.00-23.30 hrs

Cheers

Billzee :)

Hi Bill

bilzee":5lws8rws said:
In addition it appears they are also showing a couple of previous shows on wednesday night as the schedules read that the show is on from 22.00-23.30 hrs

They are showing three NEW half hour shows each week on a Wednesday night for five weeks, in total.

Cheers
Neil

Cheers for that neil.

I haven't seen the show yet so I'll catch the afternoon repeats :)

In an email complaining about NYW not being shown as often H&L said
"Unfortunately, we have no plans for a new series of 'New Yankee Workshop'.
Our schedules are designed based on viewer feedback, and the popularity of programmes." :cry:

For all those who miss Norm' peals of wisdom I will remind you here.

Before you use any power tools lets take a moment to talk about shop safety.
Be sure to read, understand & follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools.
Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury.
And remember this, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these, safety glasses.
8)

I didn't see all 3 episodes of The Great British Workshop but see they are scheduled for 2pm each day starting tomorrow 12th Jan. This means a whole hour of woodwork on H&L as it's followed by NYW at 2.30 :lol:

Dewy, where can you give them feedback on which program you like most? I'll tell them how much I am sick of their fishing programs, and how I don't watch as much the channel since the programs showing these days are boring.
But then there is the British Woodshop now :D :D :D

CYC. I sent an email to H&L at the address given on their website.
The address is [email protected]
There is a 'contact us' place on the website which gives both email & phone No.
H&L Quote. "Our schedules are designed based on viewer feedback, and the popularity of programmes. We're sorry you've been disappointed on this occasion. We will forward your comments to our scheduling team for their consideration."

I then pointed out that NYW had been shown at prime time (8pm) for so long & also as the Workshop Wednesday feature so why had it been delegated to one episode at lunchtime.

Hi Dewy

Good to see you on here mate. Do you think Wolf, ss, etc would be interested???

Coggy

Hi coggy, Wolf may but SS is too busy trying to find how to lift that laminate floor to install his beloved leccy under without damaging the laminate. lol

LOL

Yes it sounds a right job there for him. It made me think, i laid 55 square m of it about 6 months ago in a large loft area and it was the glue system. I hope they don't need to get under it :oops:

/RANT
Ohh how I laughed tonight when out came Daves stacked dado head.

"Now a lot of fellow wood workers are suprised that I use a SDH a they thought them illegal"

"Well i've checked with the authorities that be and their not as long as you use them safely"

"As long as you have a table saw which has a long enough arbor you can use them but you must go over 15mm"

as he does up the arbour nut on his nice shiny unisaw...

Show me a LEGAL CE Compliant saw with a long enough arbour that you can buy in the UK.

As Scrit pointed out in the past yes this is true to an extent but....
the term of interest is "safely".

Where were your safety measures Mr Dave? :roll:

That said the next project he did use the router for all the housings, and he showed how to set up for them which is more than I have seen on any other pogram.

But he spoils it all by doing a rebate cut on the crown moulding which can only be done with the riving knife and guard removed....

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti SDH, we have one and we use it but only on our Tyzac which is older than me, by a good few years, and predates CE requirements on arbour lengths.

groaaannnnn
/RANT

Signal

Well this was the next logical step, the dado blade on the wall (well spotted james :wink: ) had to make it to the table.
OK, so he says that it's lawful to use the dado blade on a table saw if the arbor is long enough. In this case is it okay to import a table saw with a long arbor?

As far as I'm aware it is ok to import a TS with a longer arbour providing it is not used in a commercial workshop, i.e, home use, as it will not be CE compliant.

Rgds

Noel

Noely,

yup, it may be ok to import one but consider the shipping costs on a piece of cast iron and import duty.

Also if you have any form of health insurance and you lop a finger off Im sure theyll use non ce compliance as a way to wiggle out of cover

Signal

Surely then Dave Free uses is tablesaw for business with the show on air.

Good point Signal, snakes they are those insurances!! :evil:

It amazes me how we European WWers seem to be transfixed by stacked dado heads....however, I'm not sure on the likely consequences of an insurance claim on a non CE compliant piece of equipment. How many of us would claim, or have the facility to claim, on a household accident? No doubt claims can be made due to loss of income and other consequences arising from injury but I suspect one cannot claim for the injury itself unless the machine / appliance itself can be proven to be at fault. It is fortunate that we do not have the litigious culture so evident in the States where every ambulance chasing lawyer is out to make a fast buck.
Most of us have inflicted some injury to ourselves pottering about or working on our houses and the only thing we do is get treated at A & E and look for some sympathy for a few days. Obviously a different set of circumstances apply when accidents or otherwise happen in a working environment.
Not sure about the point about dado heads on television. It's posible that David Free's workshop is his own (I suspect it is) and only used for hobby purposes. The fact that it forms the basis of a television series may not ,and that's a big may, have any bearing on the insurance issue. But perhaps, more to the point, his assertion that guards etc are removed for photograhic purposes, provides a "get out" on the matter. No doubt D & L and Fastlane Productions are up to speed on such matters. Perhaps the odd glimpse of the Delta Unisaw being used with a DIY guard supports this.
Lastly, did notice that David Free is also producer of the show.

Rgds

Noel

Perhaps Andy K and Scrit can add a professional view to the issue.

Rgds

Noel

Noely,

If you have medical insurance and lop a finger off you will be making a claim. Insurance companies being insurance companies they will go all they can to advoid paying out.

Signal

Back