Great British Woodshop - What do you think now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to see a series staring with a blank canvas (an empty shed or garage) then building up the tools in the space availible. Making the benches then building simple projects as more tools are added

Gets my vote Dewy.... but why confine the sponsorship to just Screwfix...bring the likes of Axminster on board too; raise the bar a little...

Just one pre-condition... no MDF...

My idea was Screwfix/B&Q because everyone has heard of them.
One is advertised on TV a lot & the other is in most towns.
Only those already into woodwork or other skills would know about Axminster.
Plus, of course, many start out with cheap tools & only move up when they realise the limitations of them.

Best Idea for a program yet Dewy :D

Build a workshop in a garage or shed using the comman tools avialiable to everyone.

I like others was disapointed by Johns Workshop, I wish I had that sort of money to spend and that sort of room to work in, Yes I agree what a waste of equipment to only work in MDF!!!

Bean

Dewey, brilliant idea and yes restrict it to B&Q/Screwfix or any of the Shed!! available tools. Only those really interested in woodworking will have heard of Axminster. H&L should have a dedicated woodworking channel with no fishing or house hunting. I think we should petition H&l for a good workwork series for amateurs as you say without thousands of £s worth of tools.
Jeff

Dewy":364bs3ah said:
Unfortunately Pete, TV programme schedulers don't like such programmes. They want to see a project because they have a much wider viewing audience than woodworkers.

You're right, of course. But given Discovery H&L's obvious difficulty in filling its schedule, you'd think they could find room for one *real* woodworking programme :roll:

I should have suggested this to H&L when I thought of it last year. At the time they were asking for short videos of pasttimes that they showed later. I see that 2 of them now have their own fishing program.
I wonder if B&Q or Screwfix would give me the tools to do the series for them.

Now let's see........ The Screwfix BIG STUFF catalogue has a Startrite SC25
Pity it wont fit through my garage doors. :lol:

Hi folks

Awww, come on - give H&L a break! Am I the only one who remembers all the repeats of Bob Villa and 'Hometime'? Their latest offerings are a vast improvement on what has gone before.

Mind, I still think that a whole evening dedicated to fishing is beyond the pale. Crikey, they don't even barbecue the end product :) !

Yours

Gill (who has an excellent barbecue sauce recipe if anyone has caught too many fish..)

Where has the mighty "Norm" gone H+L!!!?
You put him on some godforsaken hour in the middle of the night!
What is wrong with you! Where is the new series?
I remember when you showed "Day of Norm", so don't tell me there is no interest-ask the members of this forum.
a slightly miffed Philly :evil:

I received this reply from H&L 27th December 2003.

[email protected]
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Discovery Home & Leisure.

Unfortunately, we have no plans for a new series of 'New Yankee Workshop'.

Our schedules are designed based on viewer feedback, and the popularity of programmes. We're sorry you've been disappointed on this occasion. We will forward your comments to our scheduling team for their consideration.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy watching our channel.

Kind Regards,

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team

It falls to US to bombard them with email or phone calls to show the new season.
Phone+44 (0) 870 600 5646 between the hours of 0830 - 2200 GMT
Phone No. from the Discovery Europe website

Ok, so you don't want the woodworking program to use expensive tools but it's okay to make projects worth a fortune in hardwood because you don't want to see MDF!!! I don't get it.

Veneered MDF sounds good to me in the right application. What projects did you see Dave using MDF wrongly?

I've not seen any of these programmes as I don't get sky or cable, but all that could be about to change.....they are expecting to launch a new subscription service over the freeview terrestrial digital bearer next month and discovery H&L will be one of the channels available - subscription will be a not bank-breaking GBP8/month and you don't have to sign up for a minimum period. And if you subscribe by the web site its only a tenner startup to get the card....www.topup.tv

maybe then I'll understand what all the fuss is about....

In many instances MDF is the best product to use.It doesn't twist,split or warp under different conditions and for many applications where a project is to painted it works fine. To rule out a material just from snobbery is a big mistake

jaymar":jr7tv2iv said:
In many instances MDF is the best product to use.
True, but I only use it for the paid work - I have to offer customers the cheaper options. But I don't use it for my own projects. Come on - it's not snobbery, it just doesn't feel right.
I'm not sure why a veneered board feels different to solid wood, but it does. Even though our fingers are touching real wood with both, the veneer lacks something...

I'm getting too philosphical here aren't I?....
Maybe I should mention routers or planers, ... power feed?

That's better. More balanced now :!:

.........It doesn't twist,split or warp under different conditions.....

Some time back I used 600mm x 18mm mdf as shelving in the garage as was; (now workshop :D )

It got very damp in there sometimes and granted some of the shelves were fairly well laden but even those lightly loaded managed to warp considerably.

Its a good product apparently for some applications but i was distinctly unimpressed.

Its true Aragorn, it definitely lacks that aesthetic pleasure that solid timber engenders.

Bilzee
MDF is glorified cardboard after all. If it gets damp it will ruin. It definitely needs to be well painted, laminated or sealed however it's used.

M.D.F. and Toolster snobbery?
Mdf doesnt actually contain wood (probably :lol: ) which is why there is outcry! If you have had the pleasure of using real wood, things become much clearer ( and I don't mean B+Q pine, rather actual soft or hardwoods).
The fine tools that a lot of forum posters spend their money on are designed to work "Wood"-mdf is glue and dust. That's not to say there isn't a place for mdf, just that wood is where its at!
regards,
Philly

It's good to know that some channels on the Freeview digital are being offered for a reasonable price. I should imagine that you will miss out on the +1hr H&L as soon as woodworking finishes & they start drowning worms I switch to the plus 1hour channel & watch the woodworking again. That way It's only Friday night I don't get forced to watch other less violent channels. ;)

MDF? I only ever use that for jigs. I can't think of anything I could make with it better than 'proper' timber.
MDF may not warp or twist (when dry) but try using it in damp conditions.
I used white contiboard for my garage (workshop) shelving & although I sealed the ends they still absorbed a lot of water but it won't evaporate properly because it gets trapped behind the melamine finish.
From now on all shelves will be replaced with wood.
WPB ply should do nicely. 1 sheet cut into strips should be enough for 64' of shelving.

Aragorn":2y3ekzwg said:
jaymar":2y3ekzwg said:
In many instances MDF is the best product to use.
True, but I only use it for the paid work - I have to offer customers the cheaper options. But I don't use it for my own projects. Come on - it's not snobbery, it just doesn't feel right.
I'm not sure why a veneered board feels different to solid wood, but it does. Even though our fingers are touching real wood with both, the veneer lacks something...

I'm getting too philosphical here aren't I?....
Maybe I should mention routers or planers, ... power feed?

That's better. More balanced now :!:

I agree wholeheartedly Aragorn, and it doesn't look as nice (or as 'organic') as jointed boards

Cheers

Tony

On the whole I have found the programs I have watched very interesting . This has encouraged me to get more serious about my woodworking and hence join forums such as this.

I'll certainly be watching for a while.

Back