Great British Woodshop - What do you think now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are thinking of taking the new Topup-TV pay service on digital/freeview to get Discovery Home and Leisure then my advice is don't. It only shows that channel between 6am and noon, and most of the woodworking shows are on later in the day, particularly the NYW repeats.

Guess I'll just have to continue living in ignorance of who this "Norm" guy is and how he breaks all the safety rules...

MP Norm Abram used to be the master carpenter on the long running 'This Old House' series in USA with American DIY guru Bob Villa. In 1989 he started his own woodworking show 'New Yankee Workshop' which has been running 13 episodes a year ever since.
His workshop is about 35' x 25' and he is well known for his preference for power tools of all kinds.
He regularly works with reclaimed timbers which have done all their moving & have a better colour. Woodworm holes included.
Many of the tools he uses are loaned by the tool manufacturers for him to try out such as the 36" sanding machine.
He makes many things look easy and is an inspiration to many to start working with wood.
Every series he makes at least one workshop item, his router table has most things needed for accurate work but was remade last year with better dust extracion.

Being a bit `old school`I`m not really all that interested on how they cut a certain joint or with what tool, I have my way`s of cutting joints and I`m sticking to them :D I mainly watch the woodworking shows for ideas more than anything and have to say that like it or not the Cutting edge Woodworker comes up with more radical designs than any other show, of course you need the decor to use the designs but a few good ideas have been filed away.
David Free obviously knows what he is doing in the shop but I`m also getting a bit fed up watching him set up his Trend jig but I`ve still had a few ideas from him.
All said and done, Norm is still the Master (Carpenter :D ) and I never tire of watching him make a shaker style table or whatever but still think that all programs of this sort have something to offer us plebs, so don`t knock them, just watch and enjoy. :D

My first post, so hello and thanks to all those whose wisdom I have been reading (learning?) over the last few weeks. My interest in woodmasacre came from a combination of the shows discussed above and fitting an MFI kitchen which left me thinking that I could have done at least as well myself.

Personally I find that most of the stuff they make doesn't really interest me, and most of the methods that they use aren't available to me. That doesn't stop me from watching it mind, I'd just really like to see something that I would find genuinely useful. I certainly agree with may of the comments made above, and having read the response to somebody from the broadcasters am wondering if anybody will be providing these many comments to them so that we can try to influence future developments?

Still wondering whether to make very tall stools or chop the bottoms off the legs of the excessively tall table I've constructed?

Chemist not carpenter

Cutting edge Woodworker comes up with more radical designs than any other show

TBH, I found many of the C.E.W designs very fifties.

I agree that all these shows have something to offer, even poor ole John and his mdf workshop :lol:

Latest posts

Back