Great American Tooth Bites!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
A little while ago I posted a couple of little saws I happened upon at a boofair...

DSC_0992.JPG

The larger of the two..now identified as the GREAT AMERICAN TOOTH PATTERN One/Two man saw...I kept with a view to sharpening her up and using to poach some fallen walnut... 8)

Thanks to some wonderful links by kind members I embarked on sorting these huge knashers out....

DSC_0999.JPG

....starting with a bit of surface rust removal...again CORRO DIP came into its own...just wiping on.

After that was done and armed with a suitable saw file (Nicolson new ones £1 from an old bootfair)....

DSC_1034.JPG

Now you may ask why the Smurf was using leather gloves for this job...well there is a bit of advice I shall give to fellow members...those more stupid than me....(difficult) and anyone wanting to sharpen one of these monsters on the edge of a row of steps....

Yes...you can guess it..sharpen...concentrate...sharpen concentrate....move left...sharpen concentrate...sharpen...concentrate...move left.........forgetting the step...OUCH!!!

Yup...I fell down the step and grabbed the newly sharpened row of teeth with the right hand to steady myself as a reflex.

Much blood and swearing later...the leather gloves were dug out..mostly to prevent the red spray getting further! :oops:

Let us say my first attempt at a relatively easy large tooth size was successful....my location for doing this...not so much! :mrgreen:

Anyways....this was the result after the two rows...

DSC_1032.JPG

Not exactly "Pedder" quality but pretty though! Another hour later I had the other rows done and Annie and I got either end and sawed a log of ash in half in a few minutes.

I'm chuffed!

More action pictures as we venture into the forest this weekend!! :wink:

Jim

Thanks for posting Jim. Is it best to sharpen this kind of saw with or without fleam? SWMBO has a pruning saw that's due a sharpen...

DTR":1gq6zvtu said:
Thanks for posting Jim. Is it best to sharpen this kind of saw with or without fleam? SWMBO has a pruning saw that's due a sharpen...

Hey Dave....don't go getting any ideas that I know anything about sharpening saws! I have absolutely no idea what a fleam is let alone recommending whether it should have one or not! :mrgreen:

Following the instructions on this excellent THREAD by another Dave (dh7892)...and the original bevels....I just blackened the huge molars up and hit them at the same angle...which happened to be the 45 degrees suggested in the aforementioned.

Sharpening the long bevel first followed by the row of short bevels and then going the other side and repeating seemed to do the trick. I haven't smoothed out the gullets...they didn't really need it. I will say I cocked up a bit...mostly due to the book excerpt on the subject...in that I didn't do the set first...or rather correct the set on two teeth.

The reason for this was the sentence "set the teeth first" was the last one in the article!!! Pays to read right through to the end before you start I guess.

I am not particularly worried however as the full set is on and it is about twice the thickness so all was well...more by luck than judgement! :oops:

Cheers

JIm

jimi43":1p2gjsl7 said:
More action pictures as we venture into the forest this weekend!! :wink: Jim

:shock: oh, you saucy devil! :D
chris

Hi, Jim

Seems we all have one of those saws

saws.jpg

Mine was 10p and the nice Spear and Jackson below it was 10p as well.

They cross cut wood very well, mine's a Diston you can just make out the etch.

Pete

Hi, Jim

Strange! I rotated the pic before I posted it, its fine on my Pc but upside down on my sons laptop!

Pete

Hi Jim

Nice work on the saw! I've got a nice scar on my thumb from a freshly sharpened 3tpi rip saw which jumped out of a kerf onto my [ungloved] hand.

jimi43":90bto9e8 said:
again CORRO DIP came into its own...just wiping on.

After seeing your post on the corro dip I ordered some for cleaning up some old spindle blocks which were destined to be e-bay fodder. Worked a treat! And like you say, the 1 litre tub goes a long way.

I've found other things round the shop which need dipping, but are too big. If you wipe it on, do you give it several applications? I found with the blocks it was best to leave for at least 24 hours, after which they came up lovely and clean.

Cheers

Karl

jimi43":3ffexr39 said:
again CORRO DIP came into its own...just wiping on.

After seeing your post on the corro dip I ordered some for cleaning up some old spindle blocks which were destined to be e-bay fodder. Worked a treat! And like you say, the 1 litre tub goes a long way.

I've found other things round the shop which need dipping, but are too big. If you wipe it on, do you give it several applications? I found with the blocks it was best to leave for at least 24 hours, after which they came up lovely and clean.

Cheers

Karl[/quote]

as that the axminster stuff?

adidat

Racers":zhoal7l2 said:
Hi, Jim

Strange! I rotated the pic before I posted it, its fine on my Pc but upside down on my sons laptop!

Pete

Pete...you'll be pleased to know I fixed your big saw too!

I clicked on the pic!

I'm getting good at this saw doctor thing! :mrgreen: 8)

Karl..thanks mate...though I have to confess....this is about the smallest TPI I will probably attempt...ever!! :wink:

This is quite a wasteful use of Corro Dip really...I use two copper brushes...one stiff...one not so stiff but flat...more like a scourer...

With these I remove most surface rust and just expose the raw metal with what's left of stuck rust. Then I soak a cloth in Corro Dip and wipe one side...out of the wind and sun is best. I leave this for as long as possible until all the surface has dried naturally and then I wipe the powder formed and then repeat.

Eventually you are left with a black patinated rust-free surface...it even copes with the pitting too...getting right down inside to prevent further destruction.

I then just buff it up with some beeswax and leave it.

Great stuff for immersed things though isn't it? I don't know how it works and frankly...I don't really care...just that it does...by magic...

Jim

Hi, Jim

Thanks, it seems sharper, did you tickle it up as well?

:wink:

Pete

Back