Gravity or spring catch for door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.gid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, update to my outdoor little library thread, installed it about 2 weeks ago and all fine up until this weekend when storm Arwen hit. I fitted the door with some self closing euro hinges i had in the shed and a roller catch to keep the door closed, but either someone left the door open or the wind blew the door open and i have been handed back the door in 2 pieces. The door didn't actually blow off the hinges, instead the wood where the rails and stiles meet split (joints actually held up, but the wood failed) on the hinge side.

Im looking for a small spring or gravity catch (bit like you would have on a garden gate) to mechanically keep the door closed. Ideally i want it to be self latching so that people using it dont have to think to close the latch.

Best thing i have seen is a spring loaded elbow catch, but wondering if anyone had any better recommendations. I was hoping to get a miniature brass or stainless gate latch type thing but cant seem to find anything.

Chris

lib.jpg

I like magnet catches
How about a small hasp and staple with a D shackle instead of padlock?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-194841_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-194841_Chrome.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the replies.
Magnets I'm about unsure of as it's not a physical catch, and to have ones strong enough to stop the wind blowing the door open would also be quite difficult for people to open.
The hasp idea will probably one of the easiest to fit but it's not self latching, I can see people closing the door and then forgetting to do the hasp.

I agree, I think some sort of self latching door would be best so it just needs to be pushed shut and then a latch clicked/pressed to open, that way if the door is left open and the wind blows it shut then it will latch, so your elbow latch looks ideal. You could also try looking at catches used in motor homes / caravans they are designed to do the same thing.

It wouldn't suit your current door style but there's a lot to be said for a standard mortised door lock with a lever type handle. People are so used to using this type of handle that they open and close it without thinking, it will also self latch if blown shut.

You could also consider adding a spring or door closer to ensure the door self shuts although that is probably less user friendly.

Edit: I was thinking of this type of handle with a standard mortised lock.
21406.jpg

Last edited:
From your photo it’s not possible to see, but are the two edges of the door flush with the sides of the cabinet? I’m just thinking that, as the wood failed (split??) on the hinge side, the door may be wider, meaning that it could only open to 90 degrees and split with the force of the wind. This would also leave a lip exposed on the opening side that would catch the wind.
In any case, if the door could be remade to fit inside the cabinet sides this would significantly reduce the potential for the wind to catch it in the first instance. Self closing hinges and a magnet catch should be sufficient to keep it closed.

Would a 'Push to Close - push to Open' catch work for you? I'm sure there is a better description/name for such a device which I'm also sure Hafelle do. I used them on the first kitchen I built way back in the 70's but they should still be available.

Why not have normal door rim-latch and handle or knob? Hundreds of shapes and sizes available.
Easy to open with one hand, will latch itself shut but impossible to be wind blown open

What about a simple Suffolk latch as used on garden gates and cottage doors? It is simple and effective and easy to operate

Back