Grandpa Amu

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I think by now we are all familiar with Grandpa Amu and his turning skills.

His videos on YouTube give the impression (to me anyway) that he lives out in the mountains somewhere in China and gets by on a pittance.

Well I was wrong on both,
He is from Hong Kong SAR. So technically China I suppose.
The pittance he gets by on is a tad over £100k per year from YouTube alone and has a nett worth in excess of $500k

Just goes to show that having the right formula can pay dividends on YT.

I wonder how much a fat, bald guy with a beard and mental health issues going by the name of Garno would get if I posted where I mess up turning things? Plenty of hours to film :p

阿木爷爷 Grandpa Amu Net Worth in 2022 - Income and Wealth Growth (starstat.yt)

Last edited:
All part of the whole "golly ghee" thing on YT.

It sells. If you're a woodworker, he's the kind of guy someone else sees and sends you "I don't know if you've seen this guy, but he's just an old carpenter making great things with almost nothing!".

uh, I doubt it - especially when you see something he's making and then suddenly it has carved elements.

In the desire to see something new and "Wow" all the time, everyone becomes a sucker for the misdirection stuff.

I think he's interesting to watch, though, but after a while realize I'm wasting my time watching and request YT not recommend videos of the type as they just clog the feed.

(by the way, if you could frame the whole mental health thing as being harmless and unpredictable - but never #metoo-able - as in, fake a version of it the audience wants to see - I'm sure you could draw a following.

If you post only negative "i hate the world" stuff, then you'll attract a strong following of people who think we're all aliens and just don't know it yet.

His early vids were impressive and it looked like a different house

The first one(s?) I kind of figured the guy was a cabinetmaker or something as he was just out blonking sticks around but then the videos cut out and back comes an item with carved elements.

Part of the golly ghee on youtube is making things look attainable (an hour long segment carving something isn't going to cut it - the audience goes to sleep and they suddenly realize imagining themselves sitting in the yard goes away.

I could see the adsense allowing him to move to a different house. The idea that he's a guy who just sits in his yard making things (vs. a B&M shop somewhere - or was in one, or perhaps worked for someone who did custom work) - not so believable.

Definitely prefer that to getting an email from someone with pallet furniture ("do you think you could make this for me? If so, can you find some pallets?")

Yeah, no.

Latest posts

Back