Grandma - Please Mail Some Global Warming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week, I was out of town on PTO between the holidays. Same latitude where I am now, supposed to be high 30s (F) during the day.

Well, it rained all week and most days were 55-60. In fact, we had an easy fall so far.

Today, I woke up (heard the wind howling last night - it's already been closer to normal temps this week) and this morning it was mid teens (ºF) and three inches of snow and a strong wind. My shop is a garage with an older wooden door - I like the door precisely because it actually allows a little airflow. It's 38 degrees F in the shop and still only 22F outside.

Worst idea of the day was full vitamix size smoothie of basically ice, milk, yogurt, protein powder and an apple (and xanthan gum to make it taste like it was more than that). Working by hand, the wood has a different feel after a couple of days like this, but it'll probably go lower (usually a week's worth of days where the overnight low is around 0F and occassionally, we'll get a -10F- on those days, I have to pay attention to older beech planes as even the older planes will crack.
...but if you make something in the winter, you don't have to worry much about the wood shrinking, so it's a good time to assemble a guitar.

I do realize there's at least one person on here from Sask and there were -40 to -60-ish temps there last year.

today's temps feel a little stiff here, but at some point, we'll have the cold snap that puts ice on the river and then a sunny day with 20F after that and suddenly being outside in 20F will feel very comfortable.

The term "global warming" started to go out of fashion in the 1990s to be replaced with "climate change" now in general usage amongst scientists, environmentalists and governments.

I cynically assume this ensured the scientific community covered all possibilities (and posteriors) in case the science was wrong. Warming means it's getting hotter, change means it may get hotter or colder - a win-win prognostication!

I do realize there's at least one person on here from Sask and there were -40 to -60-ish temps there last year.

today's temps feel a little stiff here, but at some point, we'll have the cold snap that puts ice on the river and then a sunny day with 20F after that and suddenly being outside in 20F will feel very comfortable.
I think you mean me. 😊

It is -22ºC/-8ºF outside right now with a wind chill of -33ºC/-28ºF. Most of last week was that during the day with night time wind chills of close to -50ºC/-58ºF. Middle of next week is going up to freezing point, almost balmy. 😁

In a little bit I'm going outside to fire up the tractor and clear a little snow from the driveway. 🚜 No cab on it by the way.

Workshop is a nice 19ºC/66ºF and I can raise the thermostat if I want.

Not that bad outside as long as you dress for it and keep the block heater plugged in or better, keep the car inside a heated garage.

The dogs don't linger outside to do their business though.🐶🐶

You know it's cold when frost forms in the corners of the windshield even with the defroster on and the door knobs in the house have ice on them.

Pete

The term "global warming" started to go out of fashion in the 1990s to be replaced with "climate change" now in general usage amongst scientists, environmentalists and governments.

I cynically assume this ensured the scientific community covered all possibilities (and posteriors) in case the science was wrong. Warming means it's getting hotter, change means it may get hotter or colder - a win-win prognostication!

Certainly. In this case, I believe the evidence overall is that the earth is warming. However, it doesn't prevent ice skating here year to year, and more importantly, today, it's not warming the right way in the right places (but in another two months, a reasonably nice day at 20F in the middle of the day won't seem too bad. and with sun, it'll seem great).

For anyone who has ever gone hunting and actually sat the whole day in late fall or early winter (first time I ever went hunting, it was unusually cold for my area (15F in the morning with snow and I had five layers on and still got "sore" from the cold - well past the cold or "it burns" part to "it feels like a bruise"). I took a nap out of boredom and pain (it was only that cold for the hands, etc., cheeks).

The rest of the year when I came back to the burbs, everything seemed warm. Only hunted for four days - the level of acclimation was really somewhat amazing. So, I whine about this now (drinking a giant frozen smoothie wasn't that great of an idea, I guess), but a couple of days and we're good to go for the rest of winter...and the first 65 degree day later will cause sweating and whining.

I think you mean me. 😊

In a little bit I'm going outside to fire up the tractor and clear a little snow from the driveway. 🚜 No cab on it by the way.

I hope you at least have a heat houser for the wind! We don't get wind like you guys do - there's trees here everywhere and only the people who live on the ridges on purpose get a constant wind.

I hope you at least have a heat houser for the wind! We don't get wind like you guys do - there's trees here everywhere and only the people who live on the ridges on purpose get a constant wind.

Nope. Just long johns, fleece shirt, Carhartt overalls, winter boots, balaclava, gloves and a Canada Goose brand down filled arctic parka. What is a heat houser? Soft cab? Wind is only 14kph/9mph or so so not bad at all.

Pete

Adding it ain't that big a deal. The driveway is only 270'/82M long. 😉

Last edited:

The climate is indeed getting hotter overall, but more noticeably, the weather is getting more extreme.

Lots of people thought the Earth getting a couple of degrees warmer would be nice, so weren't that bothered by the idea of global warming.

This was yesterday

Attachments

• IMG-20220106-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220106-WA0000.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6
Nope. Just long johns, fleece shirt, Carhartt overalls, winter boots, balaclava, gloves and a Canada Goose brand down filled arctic parka. What is a heat houser? Soft cab? Wind is only 14kph/9mph or so so not bad at all.

Pete

Adding it ain't that big a deal. The driveway is only 270'/82M long. 😉
http://www.burchmfg.com/ag_heat_houser/index.htm
they were popular before soundgard cabs were standard (or similar from anyone else - the generation of cabs that didn't make the tractor louder with than without), and then pretty much on "the tractor you have that isn't a cab tractor" when I was a kid.

I thought they looked dopey (there's no top on them, and they do look dippy - but compared to totally open station in cold and wind, not so bad. ) And you won't go deaf in them like you might in some of the early cabs.

And I thought I had it bad. Deferred our 6 week Jan/Feb in a sunny and temperate southern Spain due to Covid, and electing to stay in Taunton in the cold damp west country (UK).

Wet, lots of rain and mud, 4C. I am obviously a wimp - real men cope with 50C below,:cool::cool:

There's another one from sask!!
Its no fun, I can't use the workshop it's an uninsulated unheated garage. Its ok using between zero down to -15, anything less than that it's pretty much unbearable. Bring on my own space.

I will add its supposed to be getting up to a tropical -2 next week, I'll be as British as can be and will walk around shirtless

http://www.burchmfg.com/ag_heat_houser/index.htm
they were popular before soundgard cabs were standard (or similar from anyone else - the generation of cabs that didn't make the tractor louder with than without), and then pretty much on "the tractor you have that isn't a cab tractor" when I was a kid.

I thought they looked dopey (there's no top on them, and they do look dippy - but compared to totally open station in cold and wind, not so bad. ) And you won't go deaf in them like you might in some of the early cabs.

I've never seen anything like that before. I would consider them, not outrageously priced, but they don't have Mahindra on their list and the exhaust on mine goes out the lower left front corner of the tractor unlike the upward stacks of the ones on the list. No fun being warm if you get gassed at the same time.

Pete

I'm actually very surprised they still make them - even the picture looks like it's from the 1950s. A buddy of mine just got one for a small IH that he uses to plow snow, but I figured he found it used.

They were a fixture here to work in the winter without having a cab when most farms had at most one tractor with a cab on it, but that being from an era when a lot of the older guys didn't like cabs on smaller tractors because you couldn't hear and see everything around them as easily, and if you had a loader tractor or something on a dairy, the doors became a pain (and often got removed).

All 25 years in my past since moving to the burbs, though.

(not that it would be that easy to get on and off of a tractor with the heat houser - if it wasn't cold, they weren't on tractors more or less).

Back