Granddaughter Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
P8100010.jpg
[/img]

Looking around a local car boot sale I came upon this clock
It wasn't working, had no key ,but othwerwise appeared complete.

When I got it home and took it out of the case it was obvious someone had tried to get it going by oiling it with something like motor oil.

Anyway after cleanig off as much as possible I applied WD40 with a fine haired paint brush and wiped it off with a lint free cloth and soon had it ticking away merrily.

I had been given a load of mahogany that had been booksases in a school that was being demolished and this then gave me the idea to have a go at making the clock

P8100011.jpg
[/img]

I first made the top which is about 12" square and 7" deep

P8100005.jpg
[/img]

I then made 5 of these

P8100007.jpg
[/img]

Routed the edges on the router table with an ogee cutter

P8100008.jpg
[/img]

Made the bottom section

P8100009.jpg
[/img]

Made the middle section, the back of which is pine and stained mahogany.

I was going panel the front but then thought to make it look more authentic I used a battery operated movement with a pendulum which I had hanging in the workshop ready for some other project that I never got round to.

P8100006.jpg

I then made two doors

P8130012.jpg
[/img]

Made a door for the back, mounted the dial on a ply backing and mounted two of the frames to the top of the clock and capped them with a piece of mahogany

A friend supplied me with two weights which make it look more authentic and these hang off chain from B&Q. They don't do anything but they do look the part.

P8170007.jpg
[/img]

To hide the battery movement I made a small panel which can be removed to change the battery

P8160016.jpg
[/img]

The chimes and movement were then added. It chimes on the quarter, half and hour, Whittington or Westminster.

P8170001.jpg
][/img]

I gave it three coats of Danish oil. It needs to have the glass put in the frames and the hinge screws changed for brass ones and I think it will be finished.

My wife says "And where do you thik that is going" It stands five foot tall after adding the plinth and as I already have five clocks in the dining room I decided not to answer :D :D

Hope you like it as I've had a lot of pleasure making it.

Alan.

That's a lovely job made out of, basically, reclaimed junk.
(oops, forgot the Danish and the chain - mind you, from the orange shed the chain probably cost an arm and most of a leg :) ).
Very nicely done.

Great piece of work Alan. And I bet you really enjoyed the project! :)

Latest posts

Back