Grand Designs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just watched last nights Grand Designs. One of the best Grand Designs I have seen

I thought the guy was a genius. I just wished I had his flair for design and his ability to work wood.

Mike

Literally just finishing watching it.

Agree he has created something amazing, but can't help think they've wasted the best part of a decade not being able to enjoy it. I mean, the kids have grown up and moved out by the time they finished their family home!

But some lovely features - the vaulted ceiling and the amazing front door.

Wowee! Thanks for the tipoff.

It makes me look like Speedy Gonzales on the getting-things-made front and Donald Trump on the asthitics side of things... and I like to take my time and make things to please my eye. What a house and experience. One to watch again. That, and they didn't get pregnant during the build ;)

A few screenshots for those that may be interested.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 326
  • vlcsnap-00003.jpg
    vlcsnap-00003.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 326
  • vlcsnap-00004.jpg
    vlcsnap-00004.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 326
  • vlcsnap-00006.jpg
    vlcsnap-00006.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00007.jpg
    vlcsnap-00007.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00008.jpg
    vlcsnap-00008.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00009.jpg
    vlcsnap-00009.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00010.jpg
    vlcsnap-00010.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 325
  • vlcsnap-00012.jpg
    vlcsnap-00012.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 325
Isn't that a repeat? Or is it new? Cause I remember seeing something very similar 2/3 years ago on GD.

morfa":116amt31 said:
Isn't that a repeat? Or is it new? Cause I remember seeing something very similar 2/3 years ago on GD.

It's a "Revisited"

Wikipedia":116amt31 said:
"The Recycled Timber-framed House: Revisited (Revisited from Series 11 Episode 5)"
In 2007, Ed and Rowena Waghorn started to build a handcrafted five bedroom house on an eight acre smallholding in Herefordshire. In 2012, Kevin McCloud decided to follow the build for another five years. Has this house turned out to be a masterpiece?

skipdiver":15koup4p said:
Do the Telly Tubbies live there?

Hello,

It's Dipsy bordering on Po!

Admirable work, none the less, but too quirky for my taste. Still, it takes all sorts, and high skill and craftsmanship is to be praised regardless of taste. It is almost Antoni Gaudi in wood, in parts.

Mike.

Just watched it. Loved it. Good job we're all different that's what I say.

fiveeyes":2vnzf9r9 said:
JSW..thanks for the photos..wont let this colonial watch it. Oh well.

If you search a bit, someone has most of the eps (certainly the original ep about this house from 5 years ago) up on Youtube.

Thanks for that. I've just got round to watching it. To anyone else, don't be put off by the Hobbits/Teletubbies comments - the stills may give that impression, but seeing the view as the cameras moved around inside the house showed it to be something much more impressive than that, I thought.
Some genuinely original design ideas, lots of patience and a very calm attitude to building and hard work. I was impressed. Though I did wonder why his vice was on the right hand side of his bench, when he appeared to be right handed.

AndyT":3bzlkvzk said:
Though I did wonder why his vice was on the right hand side of his bench, when he appeared to be right handed.
Glad it wasn’t just me who noticed that!
I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and it was a pleasant change for Kevin McCloud just to accept the build for what it was rather than analyse it to death with his normal cliches.

Latest posts

Back