Grand design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Watched the program of the 19th Sept. last evening (recorded ch.4)

Did you see the architect designed home (very modern) built by constructing plywood boxes (filled with newspaper).

I could have lived in that one, but how long will the house survive, it was rendered over the ply?

Yes I watched it, can't really see the point in that method of construction. There must have been 6 or 8 guys doing the structure which was said to take 8 weeks, a similar number of chippies could easily have stick built that structure in less time and if they ere using teh ply for eco reasons then I beams can be used as full depth studs.

You don't actually render onto the ply, its first covered in tyvek or similar, battened and then a mesh fixed to that which takes the render, quite commonly done.

Shame they forgot the furings under the roof deck :roll:

Same with the windows, the metal straps/brackets are a common way of fixing windows into timber framed buildings, they just made the openings to tight.

J

I was more gob smacked at the price of the land, 750k for 1 acre. Where I live in Fife I could have got at least 50 acres for that. Mind you I wouldnt have paid 300K for a glorified cheap plywood box either. Interesting construction method though, particularly with no concrete pad for the house although I bet the garage has one.

Back