Grain filling and sealing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the is any major difference between grain filler and (water-based) wood filler, besides the consistency??

This is for filling in some fairly open grain wood (not sure what it is, could be ash or beech), before I prepare to wax it.

My local timber shop didn't have any grain filler of a suitable colour, but they did have Liberon Wood Stopper (water-based).

Could I take a dollop of filler and add a few DROPS of water just to thin it down into a more easily appliable paste (grain filler is supposed to be rubed into the grain)?

(It saves me having to order some mail order, as my christmas gift production schedule is getting a bit tight :!: )

Should I then apply sanding sealer in addition to grain filling, prior to waxing???

Ayup

Most modern grain fillers are coloured but slightly translucent. This allows the colour of the grain filler to blend with the timber. It also stops the grain filler looking patchy when the wood darkens in sunlight.
You gan give watered down wood filer a try, but it might end up going patchy.

If your timber is beech it will be fairly close grained, so a few coats of sealer (i use cellulose based stuff)will fill the grain.

Hope this helps
Doughnut

I will back Doughnut on this one. If it is beech, highly unlikely if you say it is open grained, then try sanding sealer. About three coats, lightly sanded in between coats, then a few good coats of a good wax for a silky smooth finish. But it ain't hardwearing. Ash can be brought up in the same way, but have you tried a good finishing oil. It takes longer, but the finish can equal wax, only tougher. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Having looked in my BIG woodworking book, I think it's actually oak (I think this is open grained??).

That's the problem being a newbie with a BIG pile of offcuts to play with - I really don't know what wood is what yet!!

I'll give both ways a go on a scrap bit (grain seal, and sanding sealer) and see what the outcome is.

Back