Graduates' recent work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
In my role nowadays as the leader of a furniture making course at Leeds College of Art in GB I no longer find time to personally make as much furniture as I'd like to do. My role in the industry has moved on and I suppose it is akin to that of a furniture workshop manager, with a view to encouraging the furniture designing and making endeavours of new entrants to the profession. I try to pass on some of what I learned in my decades at the sharp end of the furniture making business before I went into teaching.

Anyway, here is a link to a page at my website that shows some of the work of this year's graduates from the course I run. I hope you'll find some items of interest amongst the 30+ photographs on the page. The page is about 1.1 MB in size, which I hope will download quickly enough not to try your patience. Slainte.
Link to 2011 graduate work.

some very nice and thought provoking pieces there, especially the coffee table at the beginning.

adidat

What an amazing opportunity for young folks to be able to do a course like that, awesome pieces every one of them, really like the 'harp bed' and the 'floating drawer cabinet' =D>

Some very good stuff in there Richard...I'm particularly taken with the oak and limewood table as well as the laminated ABW window seat (probably my favourite piece) - Rob

What a collection of Eye Candy, pick a favorite not really, a couple of preferences may be, but standard of work and finish on all pieces brings back some faith that not all skills are being lost.

I'm a big fan of the Oak table with Lime inlay, and then dual pedestal desk made from Elm and Ash further down. Excellent standard of work there, kudos to the teacher :D

Cheers _Dan

Really like the Oak table with the Lime inlay and the Chair of carved stack laminated plywood, both very nice.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. From my perspective the main thing I hope people derive from the examples displayed is the chance to view the work of newly trained furniture designers and makers. Without some explanatory text to put each piece into context all you have to make a judgemet is the image-- unfortunately it's seldom I can provide that necessary contextualising background as I don't wish to inadvertantly mis-represent the thoughts and background developmental work of the student responsible for the piece. These newly qualified woodworkers are only just beginning to find their feet, their direction, and to properly identify their skills and interests. Their journey has a long way to go if they are to succeed as working or professional creative woodworkers. Slainte.

devonwoody":12nt0oah said:
Any aged students ?
I suppose one in his fifties counts as "aged", and I have another in his forties who is moving up from the FD (level 5) to the BA (Hons) (level 6). Most of the other graduates are, or were, in their early twenties to perhaps thirty'ish. Slainte.

very impressive. i pre-registered for the course at leeds college of art a few years back, but had to move back to France for profesional reasons... such a shame !

I had the pleasure of seeing these pieces come together in the shop and then at the end of year show. Once again a brilliant selection and a lot of genuine talent on show. You must be proud Richard

Thanks IB, and yes, there was some pride at the end results, even if things got a little fraught at times as they always do as the end of the year approaches. Slainte.

Absolutely... Overall some fine work.

Richard Appleton gets my vote with an uncluttered, functional piece that would fit in with most decor schemes. An inspired design taken from an artisan source; echoes of a bygone age.
Bravo! =D>
John

They are all great but I really love the first table with the lime inlay. It's is stunning. Simple and beautiful.

I'm not surprised you are proud.

Latest posts

Back