Grab adhesive as caulk?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filament

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
Just completing some floating alcove shelves (torsion box with mdf top, bottom and front) and planning to glue together with grab adhesive and a few pins.

Final lick of paint then a bead of caulk around the edge.

Just occurred to me, is there any reason, (other than cost) why not to use the grab adhesive (it’s white) instead of caulk as bd shape with a silicon caulk scraper? Would it be less likely to crack in future (the caulk I use seems to be pretty good for this, but there’s always the possibility)

Guessing there may be a good reason, but it’s not occurring to me right now so thought I’d check with the forum minds.

It doesn't sand, it doesn't paint (water based, anyway) and the surface can't be smoothed well enough

There may well be grip adhedives which can do it, but most of the cheaper, widely available stuff won't

Shrinkage is often an issue too. Gripfil white and others shrink back and can leave a checked / crazed look..... if just whacked up a load of supercove, using their adhesive filler. Great coving, so light and fast I will not buy gyproc ever again!!! But the adhesive filler did exactly as described above, shrunk back in the thicker places

I have tried this with the solvent free variety. You can smooth it using a damp sponge while it's still wet. Works ok as long as there is no movement, if there is then it will develop cracks. And the stuff I used, pretty sure it was Screwfix own brand, is certainly paintable. I simply smoothed some that had squished out of a joint, intending to caulk afterwards. Once it had dried it looked ok so I just left it. Have done the same thing many times since. So for skirting boards it's great for sealing between the top edge and the wall. I usually stick them on and just put a narrow bead at the top edge so it squeezes out slightly when you fit them, quick wipe with a damp cloth or sponge and that's that. But for caulking around a door frame or similar I would say no.

Back