GPS navigation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just look for them nice signs telling japanese tourists where to take photos and slow down just in case one or two of them are standing in the road .

I know I've been in a speed trap area tootling along minding my own business - not really speeding gratuitously, but over the limit. It sickens me that you can get an instant 3 points on your license for not intentionally being over the limit and thinking of other things.

Don't remind me!. I've being screwed for doing 46 in a 40 zone round Northampton on New Years Eve. £60 + 3 points :evil: :evil: First time in over 29 years of driving.

You know how it is - after driving an old shed for years, I finally shelled out for a half-decent motor (not anything OTT either - a very sensible and ultra eco-minded Astra diesel for Mrs Ike) and it seems like you're only doing 30 instead of 40. Didn't even realize till the letter arrived yesterday. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ike

Amusingly, I was on the new Michelin e-mapping page the other day: you can enter a location anywhere and get a scaleable map. I was tickled to note a little checkbox whilst planning my summer hols route through France - "show speed detectors".. :D

What a great service! - only works for France, unfortunately.. Here's the link for anyone else gonna be driving in France in the near future:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Vormulac":1wsfkukq said:
DaveL, is the copilot system of which you speak the software as well as the hardware?

Yes, the software and map is loaded on to a 256Mb compact flash card that plugs into an expansion port on the jacket.

Here is a link to the web site for Copilot. I have version 3.5 and they are now up to 5.

You can buy just the software and use it with other receivers, there is a list on the site of those compatable with it.

V.

The Navman GPS does require a PDA. Navman do the GPS hardware and the software.

They are a New Zealand firm and can be found on

http://www.navman.com

One advantage of having a PDA based system is that you can add additonal mapping software. For example I bought some Fugawi software that gives Ordnance Survey maps so that you can take the system out of the car and use it for walking. I've found that if you clip the GPS unit to the top of the wife's head you get a good clear signal :D

Howard

Hermes":1w0zuvnf said:
I've found that if you clip the GPS unit to the top of the wife's head you get a good clear signal :D

Howard

:lol: :lol:

I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me, as moments after attempting such an arrangement I would be faced with the rather painful prospect of having to retrieve the GPS from where the satellites can't reach and the sun don't shine... :shock:

:wink:

V.

Back