Government work experience scheme for young people

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... f-comments

HHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmm, somehow I doubt work experience in Tesco is going to impress any employer. However I bet it looks good for Tesco's bank balance. They could have at least given them the choice of working in the same sector as their chosen career path.

I really hope I get a job/internship from one of those 40 companies I've applied to as I doubt I could sink as low as stacking shelves (especially after shelling out nearly 30k)!!!!!!!

Didn't read it all but.. do they do the work but keep their jobseekers allowance, if so then I see no problem with it other than the stores should be paying their JSA.
As for employing people who have experience working at Tesco (or who ever) at least any future employer will know they're not the type to just sit on their arris and wait for the right job to come to them.

I believe Charity work could offer better personal development and is going to be more impressive to read on a CV then "Quick to learn unique priorities and organisation of food produce on a set of parallel planes" (stacking shelves LOL- at least that is how I'd write it)

I thought by some of your previous posts it was a given that you were going to be an investment banker and turn into a right wally.

Don't worry your half way there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only 40? I'm 960 or so up on you.
I was speaking to a lass a couple of weeks ago, in her 50s, she'd applied for an admin job.
"Thank you for your interest in this post, you are applicant number 1374".
At the risk of doing a May, I'm not making it up.
S

Why should Tesco get all this free labour? It's not fair. If we are going to have this weird slave state system surely the slaves should be available to all, not just big businesses?
I could do with a few myself (slaves that is, not jobs).

The chap who lives opposite us retired a couple of years ago, and I don't think he has had a day off even since retiring, he even has to turn down work some weeks.

If you participate on this forum you most probably could obtain work if you wanted to, painting, gardening, building, woodwork, maintenance etc.etc.etc.

Some of those above even finish up as regular work and he doesnt do any work under £10 per hour and what the traffic will bear when available.

If you cannot be a banker at the moment there is work around, I have spent over £2500 this year on maintenance and still spending.

PS here here Jacob, you can come and do some jobs for me :mrgreen:

devonwoody":wdbriaa6 said:
The chap who lives opposite us retired a couple of years ago, and I don't think he has had a day off even since retiring, he even has to turn down work some weeks.

If you participate on this forum you most probably could obtain work if you wanted to, painting, gardening, building, woodwork, maintenance etc.etc.etc.

Some of those above even finish up as regular work and he doesnt do any work under £10 per hour and what the traffic will bear when available.

If you cannot be a banker at the moment there is work around, I have spent over £2500 this year on maintenance and still spending.

PS here here Jacob, you can come and do some jobs for me :mrgreen:

Using this idea you find other unemployed people and start a small maintenance company. What kind of maintenance have you required in the past Woody (ie painting, plumbing ect)?

The people on this Government work experience scheme for young people in the photo below, no doubt are telling themselves "we are doing this because it will look good on our CVs and improve our career prospects"
The contradiction of course is that once slavery is re-established there will be little impetus to employ paid workers.
I think they should protest loudly and strongly.
slaves.jpg

Jacob is right here. Its poorly thought out by the government. Each company should have a maximum quota of free man hours from work experience placements such that these placements do not effect recruiting for paid positions.

If I wanted a career in woodworking I would happily work for free for one of you lot, if I wanted a career in the police force I would volunteer as a community officer ect.

The only time that stacking shelves in Tesco is helpful if 1) Its been a while since you were employed 2) Poor or lack of qualifications

TBH I think the government could have offered something better than stacking shelves at Tesco, Asda or PoundLand and I am pretty sure it would be more beneficial to the economy if the work placements were with small companies than these corporate behemoths.

A shelf loader could be managing director in 10/20 years time if he is intelligent and played the system, so nothing wrong in starting with Tesco.

Trying to get the job as chief accountant at leaving college is the wrong direction. Or even 30K first job at any position.

LuptonM":36b3lybv said:
Jacob is right here. Its poorly thought out by the government. Each company should have a maximum quota of free man hours from work experience placements such that these placements do not effect recruiting for paid positions.

If I wanted a career in woodworking I would happily work for free for one of you lot, if I wanted a career in the police force I would volunteer as a community officer ect.

The only time that stacking shelves in Tesco is helpful if 1) Its been a while since you were employed 2) Poor or lack of qualifications

TBH I think the government could have offered something better than stacking shelves at Tesco, Asda or PoundLand and I am pretty sure it would be more beneficial to the economy if the work placements were with small companies than these corporate behemoths.

The problem with placements with small companies is the paper work it now takes to have staff, Tesco and the like already have this in place, but a one man band like myself does not.

I would take some one on tomorrow if I could but because of this up and down economy we have at the moment it is to much of a risk and to take someone on a work placement involves to much making sure you meet all the rules just for a few weeks.

What the government should do is make the Uni's scrap some of the full time courses and run them as evening courses so that the youngsters can do on the job training during the day and night school in the evening, which was how my Father got his degree in the 50's.

This way of going to Uni full time for everything has ended up causing a lot of the mess this country is in.

It is also a large part of why there are so many unemployable 20 some things with a bad degree in a pointless subject.

All that said, when I finally have take on staff I would rather take someone on who has stacked shelves at Tesco's instead of sitting on their backside complaining about how unfair life is.

Tom

tomatwark":35suvj6z said:
This way of going to Uni full time for everything has ended up causing a lot of the mess this country is in.

It is also a large part of why there are so many unemployable 20 some things with a bad degree in a pointless subject.

Tom
+1 to that

I know one young girl who spent a lot of time and money doing a course in media studies, whatever that is. How she qualified to go to Uni in the first place was a complete mystery to me; lovely girl but not the sharpest chisel in the cabinet.
So what's she doing now after 3 years at Uni.... Working for M+S as a sales girl. Nothing wrong with that but what a waste of time and money getting a 'Degree' .

studders":2c7s43b0 said:
I know one young girl who spent a lot of time and money doing a course in media studies, whatever that is. How she qualified to go to Uni in the first place was a complete mystery to me; lovely girl but not the sharpest chisel in the cabinet.
So what's she doing now after 3 years at Uni.... Working for M+S as a sales girl. Nothing wrong with that but what a waste of time and money getting a 'Degree' .

Now if that was an advert on TV or the basis of a documentary - be high viewing numbers.

Dibs

studders":1s07e29h said:
tomatwark":1s07e29h said:

Tom
Nonsense. It's the lack of jobs due to the recession which is putting people out of work.
I know one young girl who spent a lot of time and money doing a course in media studies,.....
Funny how people are so rude about media studies*. "The Media" is one of Britain's biggest employers and exporters. It's the one product which absolutely everybody on this forum consumes, whether it's watching the telly, reading papers (or anything, even woodwork mags), using the internet (this forum for starters), and so on almost ad infinitum.
My son got a media studies degree (2.1 and MA) and has been working his nuts off from day one and is in demand all the time, either filming, or supplying film kit, teaching film etc. sometimes arty, sometimes industrial and also for community operations of various sorts.
My daughter did similar (Fine Art) and also has worked non stop ever since, mainly as University lecturer but also out there in the media.
The media is one bit of british industry which Thatcher and the right didn't manage to destroy, though they would dearly love to if they could.

* not funny really, just ignorant. Far from being pointless, it's one of the few subjects which can be directly vocational and lead to related work, as compared to hundreds of other degrees which people do and end up in completely unrelated areas of work.

It's alright for Tesco etc to train people but one point is being missed here. Take Jacob wanting his share, tell me Jacob, as the owner of a small craft business are you prepared to train your own competition?
This is what it amounts to when a self employed plumber/electrician/carpenter takes on a trainee.

Roy.

Jacob

Your children have worked hard and are doing what they want to do which is how it should be , but there are a lot of people who have done this type of course just to get a degree and then have found that there are not the jobs.

It was not the recession that caused this, although it has not helped.

This was the case before 2008 when things went wrong, and the big problem is that now these people are in their 20's they have to have the minimum wage, which means it is very difficult to employ them and train them up in a trade if they want a career change, this is where the government need to help the small guy, with some of subsidised training scheme.

Remember that most apprentices start on very little money for the first couple of years until they start to make the company money.

Your children have worked hard and are doing what they want to do which is how it should be , but there are a lot of people who have done this type of course just to get a degree and then have found that there are not the jobs.

And media studies is one with the highest number of graduates working, if at all, in a different profession, it's damn silly taking courses that employers don't want.

Roy.

Back