Government work experience scheme for young people

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the 'over qualified' bit is merely fear on the part of managers. Could it be they do not want their instructions challenged or their authority questioned by someone who may be brighter than they are and have more life experience?

A good deal of the managers I deal with are quite useless and very afraid of being challenged because they see a change of plan as a weekness even if it is better than theirs.

Mick

I wonder if the 'over qualified' bit is merely fear on the part of managers. Could it be they do not want their instructions challenged or their authority questioned by someone who may be brighter than they are and have more life experience?

When I moved here I applied through the job centre for a vacancy at a local pump installers as a service engineer.
I was questioned by the staff at the job centre who then phoned the company.
i was asked through the JC staff if I knew about such and such and it turned out that we were talking about pumps that I had designed!
I was informed 'no job' as the man was afraid I would take his job!

Roy.

My personal findings on this is that the people I know that went through "higher" education all have BA's Abc 123's and vitamin C's and god knows what after their name and they do quite literally think they are above stacking shelves or getting their hands dirty . I will emphasize that I DO NOT think this of all students .

How I would look at it is that if someone wanted to work for me and were a "brain Surgeon " first thing I would be worried about is that they will pipper off and leave me in the xxxx at the first chance of a job for 5p and hour more and also the fact that if they were so keen to be qualified in qauntam physics why do they want to work for me !!!

I am not saying we should throw them all in shackles and make them row to west indies in search of exotic spices . Just really give them something to do and EARN their way in life and stop waiting for the perfect job to land on their doorstep with a begging letter asking them to work for £50,000 a year .

When I left school at 16 I had nothing in the way of qaulification and I took a job cutting grass and marking sports pitches ., I then made my plans and worked my way to where I am now . I put myself through an apprenticeship , payed for it myself , worked hard and got here .

It seems so easy to go to Uni and study a course on David Beckem and come out with a degree which is about as helpful in the real world as a chocolate kettle . A friend I know has just finished uni at the age of 29 , he has more qualifications than us lot put together , he has been in education from the age of 5 to 29 ....and do you know what he chose to do for a career .............He is a fishing coach and teaches how to cast rods ... What a muppett .

What would be wrong with uni's and colleges saying we have 20 places for this , 20 places for that etc and when they are gone , tough , get a job or study something else , that way we might possibly end up with suitably qualified people ... I am sure we have all had jobs we hated or hate but we do it to pay the bills and be Responsible , not drain the system .

Kind regards Sam

I have to agree, that having hired and fired, I would look with greater favour upon a teen who had got off his backside and ran a paper round, worked part time, in fact done any job than one who came to me 'cos he had been forced to.
Having said that I once took on a petty crim as he seemed genuine.
He didn't let me down, he left after six months of hard graft and I was happy to give him a good reference.

Roy.

Chrispy":11jvqro3 said:
I would dearly like to take on a young willing and able apprentice so that I may be able to try and pass on some hard learnt experience, but it would cost me a lot more than 2k to meet with all the rules and regs of employment today the very thought of it all puts me off, so I shall just carry on by my self. ( until some one makes that illegal / unsafe working practice )

Its a shame that life is made so hard for small companies. Since I am in Oxford I could have probably gotten some weekend 'work experience' off you before I become a national unemployment statistic at the end of this academic year

Its a shame that life is made so hard for small companies. Since I am in Oxford I could have probably gotten some weekend 'work experience' off you before I become a national unemployment statistic at the end of this academic year[/quote]

What is it your unimployed from ( don't want any one over qualified) :roll: send me a pm sometime your welcome to a cup of tea and a chat!

LuptonM said:
Its a shame that life is made so hard for small companies. Since I am in Oxford I could have probably gotten some weekend 'work experience' off you before I become a national unemployment statistic at the end of this academic year
Which is the point some are making, why would one of these small business afford you the time and effort when you just want a lucrative job in London?

Well this "new plan" is not really new, IIRC the government of the time in 1976-8 did a simerler scheme did not work out either.

In fact when I left school then, I was aiming to go to Birmingham Uni to study Production engineering, gawd the tutors then seemed right wally's so I looked further afield and came up with nowt.

In fact I ended up wearing green for the next few years, there I learned 3 trades, bounced around the world before becoming a french polisher / furniture restorer.

I then had a short run of apprentices , till I learned the hard way that they cost time and money to get upto a level where one can set a task and leave them to it, often screwing something up along the way DAMHIKT.

Then I had one leave and set up around the corner, cheeky sod !

So, new name thus a new "idea" I think not. And to be honest its another waste of time,money and effort.

k

Back