Gouge bits don't!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, no missing point. That's all there ever was.

According to M. Underhill ( who shows one of a very similar size in "A Very Boring Program") says that a starting point is needed to be made with a gouge. I was just pondering about if you had a lot of the same size hole to bore with one, it might have made sense to have a half circle gouge of the right diameter for quick, pop - out circles... I 'spose it might be just a case of getting the knack with any old gouge though.
When I've got it sharp I'll do some experimenting.

Salaman describes it as a Shell Auger, or Nose Auger, or Pod Auger, or Split-Nose Auger (Yeah, it's one of those tools). Seem to be aimed largely at shipwrights and carpenters, but - as ever - there are nuances and varieties and it's just... Well just let's call it a Shell Auger, 'k? :lol: Anyway, he sez start it by making a depression with a gouge first, which is what I've read elsewhere - possibly Michael Dunbar? Apparently one firm did have one with a lead screw (or screw head, as it's described) illustrated in their catalogue c.1800, but he'd never seen an example. It's a helluva beast, Richard, and definitely boring "old school".

As to the 5" sweep brace, you do fairly regularly see them in this country (I inherited one from my grandfather), but not so often ratcheting examples (at least I don't), and I have a suspicion that Stanley examples are pretty few and far between. Stanley GB, I'm guessing? I've always assumed we see more smaller sweep braces in this country (compared to North America) because the tradition of wooden braces lasted longer here, so users were accustomed to the smaller sweep and actively didn't want anything larger. Very handy little blighters.

Alf":1smw19tg said:
Salaman describes it as a Shell Auger, or Nose Auger, or Pod Auger, or Split-Nose Auger (Yeah, it's one of those tools). Seem to be aimed largely at shipwrights and carpenters, but - as ever - there are nuances and varieties and it's just... Well just let's call it a Shell Auger, 'k? :lol: Anyway, he sez start it by making a depression with a gouge first, which is what I've read elsewhere - possibly Michael Dunbar? Apparently one firm did have one with a lead screw (or screw head, as it's described) illustrated in their catalogue c.1800, but he'd never seen an example. It's a helluva beast, Richard, and definitely boring "old school".

Looking through some old tools I picked up yesterday (see my thread about moulding planes) and found this...

001.jpg

Looks like what is described above?

Alf":26xd4oac said:
As to the 5" sweep brace, you do fairly regularly see them in this country (I inherited one from my grandfather), but not so often ratcheting examples (at least I don't), and I have a suspicion that Stanley examples are pretty few and far between. Stanley GB, I'm guessing? I've always assumed we see more smaller sweep braces in this country (compared to North America) because the tradition of wooden braces lasted longer here, so users were accustomed to the smaller sweep and actively didn't want anything larger. Very handy little blighters.

I picked up a Stanley #73 - 5" last year at a second-hand tool dealer that I frequent if I'm passing. I think the 5" size were popular with electricians and others who often had to drill between joists and other confined spaces.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ah, no. I see your thinking, Mike, but that's a Gimlet Bit, or "Shell" Gimlet Bit if you want to get specific. You see a lot of them. (The sections on augers and bits in Salaman's "Dictionary of Woodworking Tools" are extensive for a reason; it's a nightmare to get a handle on what bit is what. Which is why I'm busy referring to it right now, and not relying on my memory!)

Paul, we'll there ya go; I'm looking in all the wrong places again. Just for interest I had a flick through the Stanley USA "Little Big Book" and can't see a 5" listed under any of the models. On the other hand, they seem to see a lot more 12" and 14" sweeps than we do, much to my personal chagrin. :(

The shell auger, big brother to a Dodd's pattern shell auger often used to bore lamp stems on a lathe, I think. These days sometimes sold as Lamp Standard shell augers. When used with a hollow tailstock they very nicely stay on centre. Of course the standard one these days is about 1/4". There is reference to Lamp Standard Shell Auger on the Sorby site here:- http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/tip.htm, you'll need to scroll down quite a bit sadly.
xy

Sorry forgot to add. I bought a small sweep Stanley brace in the seventies, I think, sold to enable the use of the brace between joists for wiring jobs etc..
xy

Back