Got to Love Tuff Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Never bought from them before as I'd never owned a Bandsaw until a month ago and I got Axcaliber blades for that.

Having hit a need to upgrade to a bigger bandsaw after only a month with the little Axminster hobby machine I decided to buy some blades from Tuff Saws. With the website being closed on and off due to COVID I decided to email them and after a few email exchanges with Ian I have 3 different TPI 111 inch blades for the new Sabre 350 coming out to me this week and for a very reasonable price.

I've no doubt the quality will be spot on based on comments I've read on this very site.

Don't dismiss axminster blades, their ground tooth blades are definitely worth trying and are superior to tuff saws IMO.

These are the blades I had on the Axminster hobby saw. They were good in fairness - was not knocking them just commenting on Tuff Saws great service and price.

I'll be able to draw my own comparison and conclusion once the saw and blades arrive (although the saws are 2 very different beasts)

If it was just the stock blade then it would have been just their generic blades which are fine but nothing special in my experience. Tuff saws are better than the axminster general blades but the ground tooth are definitely superior in every way I have found, they are also about the same price as tuff saws I think so it's a no brainer for me.

I wont email him as I know he's busy, but does Ian sell circular saw blades as well? or just bandsaw?

Rorschach":2vn0j979 said:
Don't dismiss axminster blades, their ground tooth blades are definitely worth trying and are superior to tuff saws IMO.

They are good, there's no doubt about that. I think it a bit of a stretch to say they're better, but I'd happily accept "as good as". And I have never used a better all-rounder than the Tuffsaws M42 blades.

MikeG.":20mk2xpn said:
Rorschach":20mk2xpn said:

They are good, there's no doubt about that. I think it a bit of a stretch to say they're better, but I'd happily accept "as good as". And I have never used a better all-rounder than the Tuffsaws M42 blades.

It's certainly a matter of opinion of course but the GT blades seem far sharper to me than the TS blades and last me almost twice as long in the testing I have done.
Nearly all my cutting is hardwoods and an awful lot of bog oak, I never break blades they always dull to the point of becoming dangerous (pushing too hard). A TS blade would last me around 2-3months, a GT blade lasts me 5-6 months.

This is interesting as I need to replenish my blade stock. I'm not in the UK but I brought a couple of Tuffsaw M42's with me when I moved which are done now. I tried buying some homemade blades locally as suppliers are virtually non-existent here but the quality was very poor and I broke/blunted 5 blades in under a month and I'm just a hobbyist!
I've had a look at the Axminster blades (currently out of stock) and they are about half the price of the Tuffsaw M42's for my machine but, if they are considered 'as good', then it would be a simple decision. Also, Ax were offering free EU delivery but I don't see that on their site now.

The last time I ordered from Ian for delivery to Cyprus he was considering no longer shipping to abroad due to the amount of paperwork that would entail once the UK left europe.
Its worth a shot as the dastardly deed has not been done yet.
Axminster no longer ship free outside the UK, again because of brexit red tape but ship to a courier so that your deal is with them. Check out the details here
https://www.axminstertools.com/international-delivery

But beware, the UK is on many countries banned list at the moment due to their (mis) handling of the covid virus.
I have two seperate parcels lost in space because shippers from the UK can not send anything to this country. One of them charged me 40 quid for guaranteed 8 day delivery, its still in the UK 3 weeks later. (hammer) (hammer)
Check with Ian, (or axminster) but then find out which carrier and if they can ship to your country.

I'll be honest - I found the stock blade on my Aldi bandsaw better than the Tuffsaws replacements I've bought for it.

Whilst I have no experience of tuff saws baldes as yet the fact I go a recommendation on them from a professional joinery shop speaks volumes.

I'll be able to compare of sorts hopefully at the weekend.

I have been using Tru Cut blades for many years now and very happy with their quality and service,I keep meaning to try Tuff Saw blades just to compare after seeing so many good recommendations but they will need to be exceptional to get me to change from my regular supplier.Just as a matter of interest I usually order a few hundred pounds worth of blades of various sizes and I get a discount,do Tuff Saws look after you in this respect?

Ian has "made allowances" for me being far away, and his customer service can not be faulted.
Email him with a list and ask for his best price. Dont phone, he's usually busy making blades. =D>

on the other hand, if you are very happy with the quality and service of try cut, built up over years and they look after you on price, why risk it. even if you save 10% on a £500 order, is it worth the risk for £50. Can a bandsaw blade actually be exceptional?

I have used tuff saws and had no issues at all. I have also had a Starrett blade, and axi premium one or two. no issues with any of them. There are many good suppliers out there.

Rorschach":1fwdymnk said:
If it was just the stock blade then it would have been just their generic blades which are fine but nothing special in my experience. Tuff saws are better than the axminster general blades but the ground tooth are definitely superior in every way I have found, they are also about the same price as tuff saws I think so it's a no brainer for me.
Same here; I've found the Diamond Ground tooth blade really very good, in fact I use nothing else and always re-order the same thing. Like all blades they become 'tired' after a while but recently I had to put a new one on the machine as although the blade was still cutting true, the oak sawdust was a bit burnt! :lol: - Rob

I've had 5 Tuff saw blades snap (not at the weld) on my little hobby 2 wheel bandsaw. I think it's because the metal is too thick & doesn't like the tight curvature.
The Axminster blades are thinner & I haven't had any snap.

Have you discussed this with Ian? At the very least he would want to know for other customers sakes.
I had a minor issue a few years ago and he could not have been more helpful. It pays to be able to talk to the boss of a company. :lol:

thomashenry":27op5ry3 said:
I'll be honest - I found the stock blade on my Aldi bandsaw better than the Tuffsaws replacements I've bought for it.

Did you put the replacement blades on upside down or something?! :lol:

Back