Got the bug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
After years of saying Festool tools are overpriced well having just bought a router OF1400, TS55 and a MTL worktable apart from having a big hole in my bank account I have appreciated the quality of these machines. especially they all interlink through systems etc.
Now is the Domino 500 really worth the price. I know cut mortice and tenons by hand but I get a buzz from power tools as I do from making and the final product.(also I really want one)
So can any please let me know your experiences with one.
I am trying desperately trying to fit a p/t into the workshop. I have an Axminster bench top one but it is time consuming trying to get a good job done with it. I am hoping I can get an Axminster CT502 to fit http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0mm-planer and get a bench thicknesser such as a Metabo DH330 http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... qwXNy4mlII am lucky at the moment to be able to do this so am striking while the iron is hot. working on the princible buy quality now and it should see me out.
I have chosen to go down to 4 day week so hopefully get time in the workshop.

Mick

I am a recent Festool convert Mick and bought the Domino 500. I always thought of it as a glorified biscuit jointer until I saw one in action and had the chance to use one. they are a bit pricey for a hobby tool but are perfect for a cabinet making business for the time they save. Since buying mine I have found I use it more and more on my jobs for the convenience and speed. It is a very accurate tool and gives a strong joint compared to a biscuit jointer. Another advantage is you use less wood as there is no tennon to cut just a butt joint. I build a lot of furniture from MDF and it gives a good strong joint on this too. In answer to your question, I would say yes it is worth every penny for it's accuracy and time saved on jobs. HTH. :wink:

Thanks mailee. I got it today, I haven't used it yet but it does look a well enginered tool.
I am going to make a pine bed head so will do all the joints with it.

You won't be disappointed. Let us know how you get on. A warning! it is very accurate make sure your bang on the lines. :wink:

Mickfb":389xigpf said:
Thanks mailee. I got it today, I haven't used it yet but it does look a well enginered tool.
I am going to make a pine bed head so will do all the joints with it.
You'll love. They're excellent :)

I know that feeling. After doing some test cuts and using my ts55 the other weekend to finish knocking up a ply box for my 3 rails. I am already finding i need an 800mm rail and mft style top to help my cutting. Plus i intend to slowly replace my current tools as they fail/ wear out with the festool equivilent. :D

Back