Got My Letter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Anyone else had their letter informing them they are in the high risk catagory for the Coronavirus?

I recieved mine today and if nothing else it really brings home just how severe this virus can be. Knowing you are amongst the high risk is just a little bit different than having it confirmed. At the back of your mind you don't really think you are actually amongst the 1.5 million high risk people, but then the letter arrives and the reallity becomes a shock.

I have to totally isolate for a minimum of 12 weeks, myself and Mrs G have to where possible live our lives in seperate rooms, use different towels, any deliveries must be left on the doorstep, Mrs G is allowed out to collect medication only, we are to have no face to face contact with anyone and the list goes on, it is many times harder than any restrictions people have had imposed them because of the virus.

I just thought I would share this with you all so you can count yourselves lucky you are not on the list of the 1.5 million.

Trying to separate yourself from your partner in the same house is just folly. If you are not seeing anyone outside the house and are careful with deliveries the chances of you getting the virus are minuscule. If you do get it, keeping it away from another person in the same house is for all practical purposes impossible.

I saw a Dr on tv recently who'd had it. She described how she'd lived upstairs while her partner lived downstairs. I'm assuming the partner prepared food for her and left it at the top of the stairs. And it assumes you've got an upstairs and downstairs khazi.

But as R says, be vigilant about not letting the virus get in and you should be ok, apparently.

Rorschach":3iutcu12 said:
Trying to separate yourself from your partner in the same house is just folly. If you are not seeing anyone outside the house and are careful with deliveries the chances of you getting the virus are minuscule. If you do get it, keeping it away from another person in the same house is for all practical purposes impossible.

I am merely repeating the advise on the letter, She may afterall be a carrier or have it and the symptons have not yet come out. She may get it when out collecting my medication. If you had it the chances of you being admitted to hospital are infinetly smaller than my chances would be if I got it.

We have chosen to follow the advise/ :)

I have received a text from gov.uk telling me I am not allowed out, presumably because of my age. I am not expecting a letter.

When I go to the Government web site to see the exceptions it wants to stuff cookies on the machine and I had to go to a separate screen to opt out.

Garno":mnz6lz02 said:
Rorschach":mnz6lz02 said:

I am merely repeating the advise on the letter, She may afterall be a carrier or have it and the symptons have not yet come out. She may get it when out collecting my medication. If you had it the chances of you being admitted to hospital are infinetly smaller than my chances would be if I got it.

That is your choice but you will be causing unnecessary suffering for both of you. If she does get it (and with care her chances are low) then you will get it if you live in the same house. Unless you are both trained in infectious disease control and have the adequate PPE then you simply will not be able to avoid passing it on.

Rorschach":2bddtth6 said:
That is your choice but you will be causing unnecessary suffering for both of you. If she does get it (and with care her chances are low) then you will get it if you live in the same house. Unless you are both trained in infectious disease control and have the adequate PPE then you simply will not be able to avoid passing it on.

Unless I was qualified to do so, I would be thinking twice about giving advice on matters of life and death.

selectortone":5n0da2o7 said:
Rorschach":5n0da2o7 said:

Unless I was qualified to do so, I would be thinking twice about giving advice on matters of life and death.

Told to me by someone who is qualified and said if it was them they wouldn't be trying to isolate themselves within their house as it's waste of time.

Bear in mind as well, you need to keep this up for a year to 18 months at a minimum before we are likely to have a vaccine.

HH I also received the text message. My only health issues are I’m a bit fat and have health anxiety. The later may make me worry more about Co19 but certainly hasn’t put me on a list of greater risk than everyone else of getting it or suffering worse from it. I expect if uk.gov has a mobile number for you then you got a text!

Interestingly this is a time you learn stuff about people that you never knew. One of my graduate engineers called me today to say he had received said letter. We are already working from home but he had decided to return to his parents home as he didn’t know how he would isolate to the required degree with limited local support. It turned out he was still in remission from bone cancer, he’d never mentioned it since joining 6 months back as he didn’t want special treatment. Makes the worries of most of us pale into the background.

Fitz.

Rorschach":xcv54jik said:
Garno":xcv54jik said:
Rorschach":xcv54jik said:

There's a fellow on youtube that came up when I searched mild covid (or maybe youtube recommended him to me). He has some audio channel (not interested in that) and has had the virus for perhaps two weeks now. He sits in a separate area of the house, wears a mask and does make face to face contact with his wife at least some (hopefully not much). His wife (and kids?) do not appear to have gotten the virus.

You have to get droplets suspended in air, or touch the virus and get it into yourself somehow to get it. It's possible. What's the likelihood, though? Who knows.

I suspect (don't know, but guessing) that breathing in droplets and getting the virus all the way into your lungs before your immune system has any chance to do anything with it must be the worst way to get it. I'll yield to a real doctor about why that's a stupid suspicion if it's stupid.

Garno, you have my full and heartfelt understanding. Mrs SQ has just finished 6 months of chemo and her secondary symptoms show clear immunodeficiency. Because I shared a waiting room with 'unknown others' while she had a scan t'other day, we are in your boat too.

"and the list goes on, it is many times harder than any restrictions people have had imposed them because of the virus."
Not everybody has a big eough pad for 'upstairs/downstairs'. We have a retirement bungalow, one 'usual office' and a tiny kitchen. Go figure. Thankfully, No1 son is ten minutes walk away and we have good neighbours, so I do not HAVE to go out, otherwise I do not see how we could maintain successful 'distancing' or 'shielding' for the periods we are bound to be facing.

With you in spirit Garno; Good Luck Mucker.

Sam

Rorschach":1jsomyao said:
Garno":1jsomyao said:
Rorschach":1jsomyao said:

As I said we are going to follow the official advice given to us.

Rorschach":2qhmkkex said:
Bear in mind as well, you need to keep this up for a year to 18 months at a minimum before we are likely to have a vaccine.

The letter states a minimum of 12 weeks and as for a vaccine from what I can gather they already have one being tested on anaimals. This thread was really to let people know how much of a shock it becomes when something as serious as this lands on your doorstep. It is easy to dismiss something that would do you no reaal harm, but when that very same thing can kill you then you gain a lot more respect for it. I have no other alternative but to show it respect and hope your contact is wrong, if it turns out he is right then I can hold my hand up high and say at least I tried. People always think they know better until they get the envelope dropping on their doorstep.

The qualified person who gave you this information should really be contacting every news agency and give them this info as he would no doubt be saving many millions of at risk people worldwide the added anxiety of how they are self isolating.

Rorschach":3vbw6h9h said:

And just exactly how do they feed themselves ? Booking online is impossible. Unless they have local help, one of them has to go shopping.

Rorschach":36wxro7j said:
Garno":36wxro7j said:
Rorschach":36wxro7j said:

Depends on the size of your house, I suggest.

No chance me and the missus can keep that distance apart. we have only just had a new floor put in and by that I mean all the joists and floorboards etc, i only got a flushing toilet last Tuesday after needing to use a bucket to flush the pan after not having had one for nearly a year (insurance company, knobs). We live in a 1 bed flat that was built in 1860 and basically is 2 rooms that have had a ktichen and WC added in one and a bathroom added in the other. We are gonna have to wait until around Thurs to see if she has picked the virus up as she was teaching in school up until Friday, but is now not allowed out for anything other than shopping etc as I am high risk. Totally peeved as my only bright spot was the thought of being able to get to the workshop and really get some time in on some marquetry projects that I have. But alas not gonna happen as I am not allowed out for 12 weeks at least

I do hope you all stay safe and for those that can get into the wksp have fun and post up all that you do

Droogs":3jegcbj1 said:
No chance me and the missus can keep that distance apart. we have only just had a new floor put in and by that I mean all the joists and floorboards etc, i only got a flushing toilet last Tuesday after needing to use a bucket to flush the pan after not having had one for nearly a year (insurance company, knobs). We live in a 1 bed flat that was built in 1860 and basically is 2 rooms that have had a ktichen and WC added in one and a bathroom added in the other. We are gonna have to wait until around Thurs to see if she has picked the virus up as she was teaching in school up until Friday, but is now not allowed out for anything other than shopping etc as I am high risk. Totally peeved as my only bright spot was the thought of being able to get to the workshop and really get some time in on some marquetry projects that I have. But alas not gonna happen as I am not allowed out for 12 weeks at least

I do hope you all stay safe and for those that can get into the wksp have fun and post up all that you do

How far away is your workshop? I guess that if I was in your situation I'd do a risk analysis and decide on the chances of being infected between home and workshop.

Latest posts

Back