Got my Lee Nielson scraper plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier49

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I`ve received my Lee Nielson scraper plane to add to my other recently aquired LN smoother. Another fine tool as well. Aparently this tool works very well with no burr on the cutter. I was very surprised about this when I read the instructions, but it does work. I had to play about with the angle of the blade for some time until the tool started to function, but when eventually found the tool works remarkably well with just a sharp blade. The instructions state that it will work with a burr just as well but pruduce a heavier shaving. I`m well pleased with both my LNs. :D Oh I forgot, gloat, gloat. :D :D

lee_nielson_planes.jpg

Well done, I have the cabinet makers scraper plane from LN and I must admit I use it more and more.

You need to hone your burr making skills (if you excuse the pun) For my scaper cards I use the super vertias device but the scraper blade it too thick for that. So I do it by hand with a clifton burnisher. It takes time to master but well worth it once you've gotten the hang of it.

Has anyone got any images of the finish/shavings produced with and without a burr.

I've been playing with a #80 on and off for a few weeks now and I am finding that raising a consistent burr is difficult and I am not at all sure how to measure my sucess, or failure.

In this post mention was made of not bothering with a burr at all.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 5085#85085

Andy

dedee":2wklwgnk said:
Has anyone got any images of the finish/shavings produced with and without a burr.
Well I didn't this morning, but...

Burrless on the left, burr on the right. Made in England #80 of modern manufacture, stock blade, 45° bevel.

burrandburrless.JPG

With a burr seems to be a lot more agressive and, frankly more fun. :twisted:

What are you using to raise the burr? I found switching to a carbide burnisher improved my results hand over fist; a couple of light swipes seems to be more than enough, which goes with my philosophy that the less time it takes, the less time you have to screw it up. :wink: I used the basic idea from Bob Smalser's card scraper tutorial but used a defunct solid carbide router bit.

burnisher.JPG

Cheers, Alf

Wow Alf thanks for that. Mine are definately more like those on the left but a little more "crumbly"

:oops: I am afraid I am using the tang from an old file to raise the burr which is likely to cause the problem?

Not sure that I have any carbide hanging around, perhaps an old drill shaft would surfice. I'll try and knock up one of Mr Smalser's gadgets at the weekend and see how I get on.

Thanks again

Andy

dedee":1psvbol7 said:
:oops: I am afraid I am using the tang from an old file to raise the burr which is likely to cause the problem?

Andy

That AIN'T going to work - the tang is the softest part of a file, and isn't polished either.

You need something HARD and POLISHED.

If all else economical fails, a proper commercial burnisher is relatively cheap.

BugBear

BB, thanks for pointing this out. Although when I wrote my previous post I could just feel I was doing something dumb.
In fact something very strange happens sometimes when I enter the workshop. Everything I have read or seen seems to vanish from my mind, sort of like what happened at school doing an exam.

I have read a number of articles and even seen videos on line about how to sharpen a scraper but somehow the importance of the right burnishing tool has not sunk in - until now.

thanks again for this light bulb moment.

Alf, if you have one for sale I'd be interested - could you PM me with details.

thanks

Andy

Latest posts

Back