Got my first Disston.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Okay, now I start to get worried. :shock:
Sitting at the keyboard and cradling my new Disston and thinking I should get a few more of these. :shock:

Actually, just received the cast steel Disston tenon saw that I bought of eBay.
My first thoughts are, "Wow, this just sorts of fits my hand just right". The balance and feel of the thing is so different to the cheapy hardpoint I have at the moment. I know I have a quality tool and I haven't even cut any wood with it yet. :lol:
The handle is a tad loose, hopefully it just needs the screws tightening. Can anything else cause this?
Going to pop out back now and give it a go. :)

Update:

Roger, I am totally sold on them!
Just tried it next to my old hardpoint tenon that I used to think was okay. No contest.
Guess I'm going to have to learn to sharpen saws next.
So where are the plans for the Cornish Saw Vice?

Ooooooo, nice, Barry. 8)

The saw-vice-that-isn't-really-Cornish can be found here. At the moment I use a variation of one like this. You'll probably want the saw filing primer at Vintage Saws (look in the "library") and, of course, more saws to practice on first... Ah, I love the Saw Slope; cheap to acquire and you can justify one of each size in each tpi, x-cut and rip, not to mention spares to lend out, to use on ply etc. Dunno why I keep leaving saws unbought really... :? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Thanks for the links.
I'd already found the one to the vice that shall henceforth be known as the Cornish Vice from Roger's Trad tools site.
All are now caerfully filed away for future reference.
I haven't the bandwidth to have a good look at the moment as I'm sitting in an awning in Tenby using the mobile for a connection. The family are all sound asleep making various snoring noises. In fact my ten year old is currently making anoise that puts me in mind of a large rip saw going through a large sheet of hardboard. :lol: He'll kill me if he sees this post.

I do have an old large rip saw and a couple of old panel saws that belonged to my father and are in dire need of renovation. There is a large amount of rust to remove and I shall have to get around to sorting them out someday soon.

I will definitely be buying some more saws though. The difference I found in the brief trial I did last night was quite something. The main one being that I could start the saw on the push stroke and it cut perfectly whereas the Spear and Jackson hardpoint I have skidded all over the wood and wouldn't start the cut. I was very impressed.

Anyway, here's to the saw slope, looks like it can be just as steep as the plane one and also no climbing back up. :lol:

Number one son just went into overdrive and now sounds mechanised. :shock: :shock: Shall have to do something about that.

Just from the sounds of things I would guess you have a pre-1917 Disston #4 :lol:. Those early saws with the apple handles are very comfortable. I have a later (ca 1940) 8" #4 which has a somewhat blocky beech handle that isn't nearly as comfortable but is a wood laser.
Too late to say "Be careful", just be aware that Disstons are social animals and breed like crazy. You'll soon have a large pile of them :lol: .

The D-8 is one of my favorite saws. It is a common saw without the fancy carving on the handle but it is a solid worker with very good steel. The "8" is a model number and it came in a variety of lengths and tpi. I have around 20 D-8's in several configurations. I'm especially fond of the thumbhole handled rip saws.
The Disstonian Institure has excellent information that will help you determine the age of your saw.

Roger Nixon":2ses9uz2 said:
Just from the sounds of things I would guess you have a pre-1917 Disston #4 :lol:. Those early saws with the apple handles are very comfortable. I have a later (ca 1940) 8" #4 which has a somewhat blocky beech handle that isn't nearly as comfortable but is a wood laser.

I don't know what the wood is but the handle is of a laminated construction. Don't know if this was unusual or not. If it is as old as you say, then I would be very surprised indeed, and actually quite chuffed.

I haven't checked the length of the blade but I guess it is about 14" and it has 14ppi. The teeth are set for crosscutting.
As it is the first old tenon I have used, I really can't comment on the comfort relative to other Disstons but I am very impressed and am looking forward to using it.

Roger Nixon":2ses9uz2 said:
Too late to say "Be careful", just be aware that Disstons are social animals and breed like crazy. You'll soon have a large pile of them :lol: .

Hmm, I seem to be teetering on the edge of another slope. :shock: There seem to be a lot about, carefully placed to catch the unwary traveller. :wink:

At least it isn't Alf's fault this time. :wink:

Thanks Roger for the link :D ,
the first picture under the etch pic is a carbon copy of mine

( btw, i started out life as an engraver,etcher and diestamper,
my claim to fame infact, was diestamping Charles and Diana's
wedding invitations) :p

TX

I don't know what the wood is but the handle is of a laminated construction. Don't know if this was unusual or not. If it is as old as you say, then I would be very surprised indeed, and actually quite chuffed.

Sorry, Barry. If it has a laminated handle, it would have been made after H. K. Porter bought out Disston in the 1950's. When you said the handle was comfortable, I assumed it would be one like this
dissback2.jpg

which I find to be very comfortable.

Back