Got my Beer in the Sideboard 'ere...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chas 'n' Dave..... Now down to the point...

I took some inspiration from www.finefurnituremaker.com and came up with a nice little sideboard that is planned for construction in July/August time...

www.yorkshirefurniture.co.uk/next.html

It is going to be the most challenging project so far, alot of pre-planning needed me thinks..

I designed it in SketchUp in my free trial....

What do you think??

Oh and i did a bit of a revamp on my site...

Hope you like :D

Ta

Tom!

The web site doesn't work properly with Firefox - no video on the next.html page (seems to be OK in IE) and other pages do not appear to be correct.

The markup validation at http://validator.w3.org/ shows errors on several pages.

thomaskennedy":15yc7xan said:
all i know is i made it in Frontpage :shock: :-k

Well there is your problem, Front Page is from Micro$oft and you can bet its output works best in IE5 or 6 from, you've guessed Micro$soft. :shock:

The validation thing checks to see if you HTML meets the agreed standard and Micro$oft don't always abide by the standard if they don't happen to like it. :roll:

Video works OK for me, you have set youself a nice little challenge though not having the front and back curved as well is taking the easy route :lol:

Is the picture distorted or are you going to have the top curved :?:

There have been a few articles in F&C where the same combination of woods was used, both with masur birch panels, one with sycamore frame the other with walnut. If you don't have them send me a PM and I can scan them for you.

Jason

thomaskennedy":333fi4cp said:
...a nice little sideboard that is planned for construction in July/August time...
and September, October , November... :shock:

It's certainly a challenge, Tom. If you can bring it off, it'll be great. I imagine we'll be hearing a few questions from you as work progresses. :wink: I hope you've got a spokeshave or two? :D

Cheers, Alf

For Firefox users, there's an extension called ieview which gives you the option to view a page in IE - very handy for this sort of thing. FWIW.

Alf- ahem......i erm...don't know how to tell you this...but, i actually dont have any spokeshaves :shock:

I was however studying the ones on Axminster and in the D&M that dropped through the letter box this morn.

And yes, the forum will no doubt be plagued with my amateur questions :p

Jason- The top is going to be curved... Don't worry there is a good reason...

In our house, if there is any sort of table top, or just a surface apart from the floor, then i can guarantee that with, oo, lets say 1 hour there WILL be something 'carefully' placed on it...

So i figured that a curved top might prevent this from happening as much...

However i think i am going to cut the parts to make 3 sideboards in total, and i will flatten the top down for 2 of them to hopefully sell on..

Is this Validation mumbo jumbo important??

If you are going to be making three of them then forget the spokeshave and go for templated and a bearing guided cutter block in the spindle moulder :lol: Failing that then a compass plane would be a good purchase.

If you can sell the other two then this would be a good way to recover the time spent making templates and formers for laminating the side panels.

Jason

First question :p...

Where can i buy a compass plane?? I remember seeing them somewhere but i can't remember for the life in me :roll: ....

Also does anyone reccomend a spokeshave?? I was looking at the Veritas Low Angle Spokeshave at axminster....

But i seriously don't have the foggiest idea about any sort of hand tool!

Ta

Tom

Tom,

A word of warning; compass planes can be pigs to use, even when you're an experienced plane user. Having said which, toddle along to my site, go to the Tool Dealers page and you should find at least one of them will have one in stock - but be prepared to go "how much?!" :shock: Kunz planes are, erm, not great... Alternatively PM me and I might be able to help.

As far as spokeshaves go, all the Veritas ones offer good "bang for your buck", or LN ones which also offer good bang, but for more buck :( . I like the low angle, but it is a little limited in how "quick" an inside curve you can do with it <dashes over to look at proposed sideboard again> but it should be okay for something like this.

The thing is, Tom, this isn't a project you really want to learn all your hand tool skills on. The last thing I want to do is put you off, but you're already looking at a pretty steep learning curve there. If you're prepared to practice, get to know the tools, maybe do a little reading about them, then you should manage okay, but it's going to add to your project quite a bit. Just so as you know what you're getting into. Oh, and watch out for the Slope behind you... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Interesting challenge there - good luck.

As for the website, I personally don't like having the video (or any other large file for that matter) downloaded automatically - it's a pain for people on dial-up, and if I'm really interested in the video I'm quite happy to click on it...

Pete-Sorry about that... I did take that into consideration, but i was in a hurry and to be honest i don't know how to do it :oops: .... but i will try and find out for next time :wink:

Alf- Thanks for the advice.... I think im gonna steer clear of that slippery slope and go for a spindle sander instead....much easier to use i bet! :D

as for the spokeshave... i think i will get the low angle veritas one.....

Enough talk about these 'hand' tools...... I need to put my ear defenders into use :p

Can anyone think of any other 'special' tools i'll need??

Apart from the vacuum press of course!

Ta

Tom

Tom

Validation IS very important to you if you are intending to use your website to promote your services and furniture etc.

Your 'readers' aka potential customers may view your website from a multitude of (a) computers running different operating systems such as PC's, Macs, Linux etc. and (b) via many different browsers (such as Explorer, Firefox, Opera etc) and (c) different versions of the browser (eg Explorer version 5.x or 6.x) and (d) different screen resolutions and (e) different versions and service packs of operating systems mentioned in (a) and (f) as has already been mentioned....connection speed to the Internet although IMHO the customers that you/I might want to attract will probably already be on broadband and so perhaps connection speed not such a problem these days.

So what they see is not quite what you hoped for. It explains why, for example, your images do not display at all on Explorer v5.1 running on Mac OS 9.2. This type of thing gives users a bad impression of your site/company.

Validating means checking your website on as many combinations above as possible.

Lot of work when you really want to be making things!

Roger

Roger Sinden":1itc990r said:
Validating means checking your website on as many combinations above as possible.
Hi Tom,

I think you might find a website which will do this for you FOC - I used to use websitegarage.com but they don't seem to exist any more. Might be worth a Google...

Neil

Thanks.... I'll look into it at the weekend.... got a busy few days ahead...last days at school :D \:D/ =D> ....... then my prom...... then the dreaded exams.... but i'll squeeze it in at the weekend :wink: :p

Ta, Tom

Thomas, I've been away for awhile. Nice design and nice SU model as well as animation. I have one question that may have already come up. How do you keep things such as dishes from sliding off the top?

Dave

simple dave.... you dont put them on :wink:

only kidding.....the curve of the top is a little steeper on the model than it is going to be...

and also you can just put the bowl in the middle :p

Ta, Tom

Back