Got My 2nd Hand M950 Set Up - now to make some mess

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i had a tidy up and set up the 2nd hand M950 lathe i got during the week. I took some time to scrape some of the gunk off of the body and i unscrewed the black endcap to the motor fan and the metal around the pullys to give it a spray with air and hoover up any dust i could.

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

I also had a look and sort out of the bits and bobs that i got with the lathe.
Some tools:

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

Some faceplates and a few bits i am not entirely sure on just yet. The chuck thing looks like the sort of thing from a drill. I presume it is for putting drill bits in and boring holes.

DSC01353.jpg

This is the Multistar Variform screw chuck, there are instructions which i'll have to read through to see what it is designed to be used for.

DSC01347.jpg

There is also the Multistar Duplex chuck with 3 different sets of jaws

DSC01350.jpg

DSC01351.jpg

This also has instructions but they have perished in the middle a bit so i might contact Hegner to see if they can send a photocopy of the booklet.

DSC01360.jpg

I'll have to have a good read of this as i have never used a chuck, i'll need to figure out what it is used for and in what scenarios. The only turning i have done before was between centres for a pair of hall chairs i made at college a couple of years ago.

DSC01361.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

So, i have a bit of reading to do before i get to make some shavings. For one i need to have a look through my offcuts for some suitable bits to much through. The main thing i need to do though is understand the processes of using chucks and faceplates and things as previously i have only done the basic between centres stuff.

I have lots of ideas in my head of things i would like to do, nothing to extreme. So i look forward to sharing my attempts in the near future. Should be a cheap christmas this year :lol:

humanfish":2290cm8f said:
Some faceplates and a few bits i am not entirely sure on just yet. The chuck thing looks like the sort of thing from a drill. I presume it is for putting drill bits in and boring holes.

DSC01353.jpg

So, i have a bit of reading to do before i get to make some shavings. For one i need to have a look through my offcuts for some suitable bits to much through. The main thing i need to do though is understand the processes of using chucks and faceplates and things as previously i have only done the basic between centres stuff.

I have lots of ideas in my head of things i would like to do, nothing to extreme. So i look forward to sharing my attempts in the near future. Should be a cheap christmas this year :lol:

In the picture you have 2 faceplates for doing bowls, platters etc, a jacobs chuck which you can put in either the headstock or tailstock for drilling or holding small pieces of work and what looks like part of a tool rest, Sorby type with different rests (may be wrong with this one).

Face plate work can be done with either the plates or the chuck. Ideally start with wood where the grain goes at right angles to the bed not along it as with the sort of thing you've done before. If you can get hold of it get the book 'Woodturning: A Foundation Course' By Keith Rowley. Gives you all the basic info you will need. The new edition covers pen turning if you want that as well. With the gear you have there you can turn loads of things as you lwearn....a good starter kit...welcome to the slope
Pete

Hi Humanfish,

A good haul you've got there mate!!

Just to help out:

DSC01353.jpg

The 2 bits in the lower middle of the pic are (I believe) indexing pins for your headstock. If you need a brochure I think you can download them from the Axminster website

Cheers,

Richard

Hello Humanfish as soon as i've fixed my scanner I'll scan my duplex manual and pm you the pics.

(BTW IMO it is still one of the best chucks you can buy)

John. B

Thats great thanks, Dalboy has also offered to make copies kindly for me also. I hope to get in the workshop this weekend and give everything a go. I briefly offered up the two faceplates in the pictures to the threaded bar in the headstock and they are too small to screw on, i'll have to look and see if i got another threaded bar to screw into the lathe or i'll have to buy another faceplate me thinks. May have to stick to some spindle turning this weekend. :) Should be fun nonetheless.

Bodrighy":rtbkh7y0 said:
]
a jacobs chuck which you can put in either the headstock or tailstock for drilling or holding small pieces of work

A note of caution. The morse taper has a tang on the end (flat bit). If you use it in the headstock to hold something then you MUST have the tailstock and a rotating centre supporting the other end else it will work lose. Some morse tapers have a threaded hole rather than the tang and you can pass a threaded bar through the hole in the headstock spindle and fit a nut on the outside end to pull the morse taper into the spindle (these are called draw bars but are not that common for wood turning).

Re the faceplates, they look like 3/4" x 16 tpi holes. Your lathe has a 1" x 8 tpi thread, adaptors are available or if you check they are the 3/4 size, they will fit Record make lathes and others which are popular so you could sell them and put the money to one to fit your lathe direct.

Final point, great recommendation from Pete re Keith Rowley book - should be your first purchase. (I also liked a Phil Irons book when learning that was spiral bound and hand the pages split horizontally with techniques on the bottom half and project ideas on the top, that way you could have a project to follow and flip the bottom section to the relavent technique for the phase of the project - brilliant idea!).

Simon

Ian, you do realize this thread is nearly 6 years old.
Even though Simon has added some relevant information you might be better off starting a new thread asking for a manual.

Robbo3":1wedpjr0 said:
Ian, you do realize this thread is nearly 6 years old.
Even though Simon has added some relevant information you might be better off starting a new thread asking for a manual.

(homer) Doh! Good spot.

S

Back