Got more practice than I planned on!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
So in the last few weeks I've taken a bit more interest in woodworking and using the collection of mostly crappy second hand tools in my shed..
A few days ago, I went out and bought a bunch of stuff to add to the collection. Mostly it was stuff I thought would be good to have but I've never really needed so far.
I've always done basic DIY but on an as and when needed basis, never done anything like that just for fun and certainly not got any trade skills!
Then while at work on Monday (I'm a "key worker") the missus called me to tell me that there was a leak in the downstairs toilet from the ceiling, direct below the shower...
I get home and had to rip out the entire bathroom and found it must've been meaning for a very long time as the floor was sodden and coming apart.
In fact, it was marine ply and the damages parts I was able to pull up with just my bare hands!
So it was everything out, the obligatory cut through a pvc pipe then repair it, new floor in, reassemble bathroom.
There was gaps in the flooring where I had to make up runs 15mm wide to go in at 3 different lengths, there was chiseling, there was more cutting, there was plumbing etc etc!
It's all back in now and waiting 24 hours for the silicon sealant around the shower tray to cure before using it.. i am waiting with baited breath....

There was a leak 6 years ago from a pipe in the wall, that rotted one of the joists so I got someone in to replace it and redo the whole bathroom sometime later. Turns out they were rubbish and I've had problems since then. A lot of the work fine in the last 2 days was me making good their mistakes. Just fingers crossed for no more leaks!

So lots of new firsts for me and I got to use all my tools including the stuff of bought recently which REALLY came in handy!

Wow that all looks like a "fun" time?
Not sure I understand the obligatory cut through a PVC pipe as I thought they were pretty robust, so what had failed?
More of concern would be ensuring all your floor edges are short lengths, or at minimum well supported. But I'm sure you know what you're up to. (hammer)
You can now look forwards to the next year of spotting those tiny imperfections, that nobody else will notice except yourself, and vowing to get it better next time. (Oops maybe that's just me :oops: )
Well done - I hope it all remains dry.

Not sure I understand the obligatory cut through a PVC pipe as I thought they were pretty robust, so what had failed?

"oh gawd, what 'ave I been an' done"? =D> =D>

"What SFB put that there!"

That kind of obligatory, I think. 8) 8)

sunnybob":3txpoasz said:

"oh gawd, what 'ave I been an' done"? =D> =D>

"What SFB put that there!"

That kind of obligatory, I think. 8) 8)

Ah - yes - makes perfect sense now. I should have read it with the correct inflection in my head.

Taking the positive - at least the OP will quickly learn how to set the depth of cut when using a power saw by cutting through PVC, rather than 240v a power cable... :D

Actually it was a jig saw... :D
Gave it 36 hours for sealant to dry then we had showers this morning.. then I spent a couple of hours resolving assume minor leaks at waste pipe joints.
Absolutely hate everything plumbing related..

Established from all this that I can make good cuts with a handsaw but my jigsaw cuts are all over the place!
Luckily in the few days before this I had been out buying lots of different tools and nearly all of them come in handy and made my job easier!

Then just to relax a bit after I tidied my shed up so it now triples as shed, workshop and office (in a pinch)!

And for today, because I'm a tech geek at heart, I made a shelf stand for my android tablet for the workshop as the rest of the house is a full on Google house with Google home decides in each room, Phillips hue lighting etc etc so now the workshop is connected too. Music, YouTube etc etc

JohnS":18k2k76t said:
That should be my tag-line. My offspring have learned how to swear by listening to me plumbing.
And for today, because I'm a tech geek at heart, I made a shelf stand for my android tablet for the workshop as the rest of the house is a full on Google house with Google home decides in each room, Phillips hue lighting etc etc so now the workshop is connected too. Music, YouTube etc etc

Networking is similar to plumbing: everything is made in china, nothing fits, nothing works as expected; random errors in manufacturing and instructions cause unexplained problems, and when you take it back to complain the inference is that it was your fault for having bought the product in the first place, and as for plugging it in...

Trainee neophyte":3ungak9s said:
JohnS":3ungak9s said:
That should be my tag-line. My offspring have learned how to swear by listening to me plumbing.

Networking is similar to plumbing: everything is made in china, nothing fits, nothing works as expected; random errors in manufacturing and instructions cause unexplained problems, and when you take it back to complain the inference is that it was your fault for having bought the product in the first place, and as for plugging it in...
Couldn't have worded it better myself! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnS":17mx1m8z said:
Actually it was a jig saw... :D

I rest my case - you now know that you need to be able to work the depth stop - on the circular saw you now must have to avoid cutting through PVC pipes !! :mrgreen:

Even setting the depth stop doesn’t prevent disasters. I was cutting through a 22mm floorboard in my daughter and son-in-law’s house with the depth stop set to 21 mm just in case. It didn’t help when I cut through a gas pipe. Whoever put in the gas pipe didn’t notch the joist deep enough for the pipe so, when the chippy came to lay the floorboards, he cut a 5 mm groove in the floorboard to fit over it.

The gas people were very quick to turn off the gas. However, they weren’t keen on doing anything about fixing the problem and several plumbers, including British Gas, didn’t want to know. Not very helpful when you have 5 year old and 2 year old in the house with no heating or hot water. Fortunately, my son-in-law found someone through his local church who could fix it the next day.

Back