Got me a new Disston

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Took a chance on an eBay purchase and bought the following:
latestdisston.jpg

Couldn't quite work out from the picture what I was buying :shock: , but what the hell I thought (don't tell SWMBO).
Anyway, picked it up from the post office today and quite suprised at the shape of the thing.
Checked out the Disstonian Institute and it appears to be a ship point saw (I think me 'earty).
It is a rip saw with 4 teeth per inch and unfortunately the horns have been broken off.
Nevertheless, I gave it a try and I must say it is a very nice saw to use. Needs a good sharpen and the teeth are not exactly even but it is a nice saw to use. First time I've tried a saw with the finger hole and it is really very nice indeed.
Had a go on some two inch pine and it 'ripped' :roll: through it quite happily. The wet oak I tried it on next was a different propersition but worked it's way down without wandering from the cut very much, not much worse than a modern hardpoint. Can't wait to see what it's like when it is actually sharp with all the teeth set correctly and of the same height.
Trouble is, I have to learn how to do that first. :shock:

Barry,

Roger or another Disstonian-minded galoot will no doubt be along shortly who'll know for sure, but did they make thumbhole rip Ship saws? Looks more like a virtually used-up saw to me, to be honest. :?

Cheers, Alf

I would have to agree with Alf. One telltale sign would be if some of the etching has been obliterated by untold sharpenings. However,if it is as used as it looks, there the etching may no longer be visible.

Jeff

Alf":337lbi3c said:
Barry,

Roger or another Disstonian-minded galoot will no doubt be along shortly who'll know for sure, but did they make thumbhole rip Ship saws? Looks more like a virtually used-up saw to me, to be honest. :?

Cheers, Alf

I suppose that could explain the strange shape to it. But never mind, I new it was a gamble when I bought it and didn't pay a lot for it so no worries.

Does cut well though. :?

Jeff,
The etching has indeed gone.

Just had another look at it, and yes, looking at you can see how most of the metal has ben removed from the end leaving the thickness at the handle. That would also explain the curvyness of the teeth. :?

Ah well, live and learn hey?

Maybe it was wrong of me but when Disposable saws came out, I threw away all my resharpenable saws, about half a dozen. I would always either hit a nail or cut myself when I had just sharpened the thing. Also I never liked rip saws, such hard work !.
Now if it does'nt get ripped with the snorter, or the cordless trim saw It don't get ripped.
Hardly use any of my old school tools now - Yankee, wheelbrace and bits, etc. Thank goodness.

mudman":2as98for said:
Does cut well though. :?
I'll bet. A well worn tool like that is usually a safe bet as a good user; it didn't get like that 'cos it was crank. Having just had access to Tom Law's saw sharpening DVD I see one of his favourites is just such a worn saw. In fact I think it may have even less blade left under the handle. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Mudman,
Congratulations, looks like a fine saw to me. I'm no saw expert, but I recall several carpenters and woodworkers whose favorites saws looked a lot more used than that one when I was a kid. As long as the blade is straight, teeth are not pitted, and taper still good, it should be a good user.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned the "finger" hole. I have a disston rip with a finger hole also, but I don't put my finger in it. If I'm not mistaken, which I very well might be, I don't think disston crosscuts had the finger hole. I wonder, why that might be?

Probably teaching egg sucking here, but I was taught to use the finger hole for the thumb of your other hand to go through, which then wrapped around and gripped the index finger of the driving hand.
It gives you more ooomph when you are ripping.

Andy

andy king":321zx0y5 said:
Probably teaching egg sucking here, but I was taught to use the finger hole for the thumb of your other hand to go through, which then wrapped around and gripped the index finger of the driving hand.
It gives you more ooomph when you are ripping.

Andy

I wondered about that as using it one handed, my thumb is too short to even reach the hole, let alone put it through it. :?
Okay, so I have small hands.

Back