Got a spare hour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Then make one of these :wink:

I had such an hour yesterday and so turned the handle out of Beach and ground the blade form an old HSS chisel using the angle grinder once again (hacksaw and file wouldn't even scratch it :shock: ).

10 minutes of honing and flattening on the stones and it works a treat.

Finished with Patina on the lathe

I am really chuffed with this even though it only took a total of one hour to make and is nothing special.

It simply feels 'right' in the hand and leaves a lovely clean mark :D

(no idea why the second picture is blue though ??)

With_ruler.jpg

Blue.jpg

Tony,
It does look very comfortable in the hand. How did you fasten the blade into the handle? Did you grid the blade into a narrow section, or make a slot in the handle somehow?

Chris

I drilled a 7mm hole in the handle and used my thinest chisel to carve a small rectangular recess across it - same size as blade. I ground a tong on the blade, clamped the handle in the vice, filled the hole with epoxy resin, pressed the tong in (with kitchen towel wrapped around the handle in case of spills) and left it in the vice to cure.

Philly
Now why didn't I think of that ? :lol:

I had such an hour yesterday and so turned the handle out of Beach

You made it out of sand!? :lol:

Looks really good - did you use a jig to grid the same bevel on each side or just sharpen each side to an edge? I imagine either is fine just curious.

Cheers

Tim

Tim

Sand it was!! :lol: Just flattened the back and sharpened the edges as the chisel was a cheap turning one that came with my first lathe which I had not used for over a year and was already ground to a point

I have now planed a flat on one side of the handle as it err, rolled around the bench somewhat :oops: Luckily, I caught it before HSS and concrete met :D

I'm impressed that someone could make a ruler which looks so accurate! What's the thing below though? :lol:

Andrew

Back