Got a hundred+ new pets to feed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst out walking a few weeks ago I collected some frog spawn from a small pond, thought my grandson would be interested to see tadpoles develop into frogs. Most seemed to have hatched, so got a large plastic box and some mud and plant life from the pond. We got some tadpole food and they have been growing well. Feeding time turns into a frenzy. The tadpoles swim upside down and suck food particles from the surface. In their early development stage, they are vegetarian. I'm now feeding them on boiled broccoli. They seem to love the inside of the stalk. Every week I have to collect about 8 litres of water from the stream near where I found them to keep their water fresh. The pond where I collected the spawn, has long since dried up. I guess the tadpoles were eaten by birds and other wildlife. I'm hoping a lot of them will develop into little frogs so I can return them to the area round the dried up pond.

Attachments

• IMG_5939.MOV
    957.7 KB
Whilst out walking a few weeks ago I collected some frog spawn from a small pond, thought my grandson would be interested to see tadpoles develop into frogs. Most seemed to have hatched, so got a large plastic box and some mud and plant life from the pond. We got some tadpole food and they have been growing well. Feeding time turns into a frenzy. The tadpoles swim upside down and suck food particles from the surface. In their early development stage, they are vegetarian. I'm now feeding them on boiled broccoli. They seem to love the inside of the stalk. Every week I have to collect about 8 litres of water from the stream near where I found them to keep their water fresh. The pond where I collected the spawn, has long since dried up. I guess the tadpoles were eaten by birds and other wildlife. I'm hoping a lot of them will develop into little frogs so I can return them to the area round the dried up pond.
Second childhood and giving the wildlife some help too. Nothing wrong with that. The planet needs all the help it can get. Tadpole collecting was something most of us did as kids. Our school had a fish tank set up and every year we would bring some spawn. Then we would observe the growth and development. Hope you end up with plenty healthy wee puddocks to release back into the wild.
Regards
John

we get em in the s/pool.....collect what we can and place them in a slow running tream near us.....

after a while with lack of food they eat each other....!!!!!!!! nice for the kids.....lol....

after a while with lack of food they eat each other....!!!!!!!! nice for the kids.....lol....
I'll need to take more care next time I put my hand in the water!!! They might strip all the flesh off like piranhas :eek:

One of the biggest predators of tadpoles are newts, it's a numbers game with only a fraction making it to frogs. On the way they feed the newts who feed the grass snakes and herons and on it goes. Hats off to you for raising the tadpoles, it's likely the spawn was laid in a dew pond which fills and dries through the seasons. I'm not too sure what you need to do as they metamorphisise though, except building an escape route.

Hope you end up with plenty healthy wee puddocks to release back into the wild
I feel a huge responsibility trying to keep all these tadpoles healthy, see then grow some legs and get them back into the wild......puddock, that's a word I haven't heard for a while 😁

Back