Gorilla glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a video by "gid joiner" on the yootoob about this, he caps the end and then inverts the botle, it essentially seals it up, and then next time hes ready to use it, it just pops out like a plastic skin

2s up for Titebond and I use Titebond3. Apart from everything else it's waterproof although not recommended for total continuous immersion. You can stick muck to blankets with it if you have that kind of need.

I had a problem with the top on one of the bottles of T/bond I had. I phoned them up and I had a small bag of new tops by return post along with a small bottle of T/bond3. Great service, great PVA glue.

The gorilla glue being talked of here is polyurethane glue and I've never got on with it and always had to throw most of it away no matter who made it.

The last Everbuild D4 I bought was less than £6 a litre. The one before was a part of a bulk order and was £4. I have no doubt that Titebond 3 is extremely good, but I can't bring myself to pay 3 or 4 times as much for it. The same goes for the PU. I think the last Morrell's PU was about £17 a litre.

Everbuild D4 and 502 PVA's are way cheaper as are many other brands of PU's - I didn't claim anything was better, just (much) cheaper.
As Lurker said earlier - I object to paying for their advertising budget. Resin W (although not so common now) is another over priced one.

Hmmmm I'm coming to the end of my bottle of Gorilla and reading this makes me think again about replacing it. I've got a litre of PVA that I've yet to open (nowt special it's just Unibond) so might as well use that unless anyone says I might as well be using spit.

I’ve looked at the Gorilla glue videos on YouTube. I was amazed at the apparent ease with which their demonstrators used it, (although one guy incorrectly put the glue on dry wood ). It oozed easily out of the nozzle and flowed on to the wood nice and evenly. I must have be getting duff bottles, because I have never been able to get an easy flow from even newly opened bottles. The glue is way too thick to come through the nozzle.
As I noted above, i’m going to stick with PVA. (pardon the pun).
D.

Having done a quick glue up yesterday and managed to get polyurathane glue all over my fingers I've definately decided that most of the time a good pva is a better option, comparable strength (clamping is always going to be the main factor IMHO), and so much nicer to work with, no faffing around with water, and no stress if it gets on your fingers.

Since losing confidence in Cascamite I’ve been using PU more & more for exterior joinery, I’ve found during glue up the trick is to have a cloth with some thinners on for wiping fingers but most importantly under the cloak of darkness & while SWMBO is engrossed in some garbage on the box in the living room pinching a roll of cling film from the kitchen. :oops:

Depending on the glue up I either wrap the timber being glued
34C45680-C531-49B8-89BE-C4CCFC14F2E9.jpeg

Or wrap the clamp head

3C8138BE-EEA3-4ACB-B6DF-5DD9A6D5458D.jpeg

Not only does this stop the bloody stuff going every where I don’t want it but the thicker clingfilm peels off the glue & can be used again.

Since losing confidence in Cascamite I’ve been using PU more & more for exterior joinery, I’ve found during glue up the trick is to have a cloth with some thinners on for wiping fingers but most importantly under the cloak of darkness & while SWMBO is engrossed in some garbage on the box in the living room pinching a roll of cling film from the kitchen. :oops:

thick foil is also a good repellant for PU ooze)

Not only does this stop the bloody stuff going every where I don’t want it but the thicker clingfilm peels off the glue & can be used again.
You mean you don't have your own cling film?
Mini pallet wrap. The hand dispenser is indispensable.
- Amazon.co.uk : mini shrink wrap

Back