Gordon planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_belgium

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a big shoulder plane, wich will mainly be used to adjust tenons, on medium to large pieces of wood.

I really like the look and the price of the gordon shoulder plane, how does this plane hold up when compared with the LN or Veritas shoulder planes?

Gordon plane:

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/un114sh.htm

As one of the first to own a Phillyplane in these parts, the shoulder plane that Philly made was first rate. Give Philly a shout and he'll sort you out with a shoulder plane that will give excellent service - Rob

I've got a couple of Philly Shoulder planes, as well as a few of his others (check out the Avatar).

Each one is excellent and comes highly recommended.

If you don't want a "wedge" style plane, I am selling a Veritas medium shoulder plane. PM me if interested.

Cheers

Karl

Chris:

I use a HNT Gordon shoulder plane frequently. I was just using it again today when I took a break and saw your post. It is very easy to adjust and holds a fine edge well. I just planed some Ebony, Maple, and Walnut. The shavings are fine and consistent. It is one of those planes that one does not have to think about. It just works great.

My early christmas presents to myself all arrived last week!!

I'm going to start work soon on a 5m by 1,5m aphselia gate with loads of mortice and tenons, fine 'tuning' the tenons should be a lot easier with these two planes!!

343248843.jpg

Chris_belgium":1ytiq88u said:
... fine 'tuning' the tenons should be a lot easier with these two planes!

You should have added a couple of nice saws to your early pressie list then you wouldn't need to fine tune them! :lol:

Hi Chris

That is a nice plane hammer. Looks like the Michael Connor one sold by HNT Gordon.

I would recommend that you epoxy brass over one end face for adjusting steel blades, especially something as thin and penetrating as the shoulder plane heel, otherwise it will not look so nice for long.

I used to make my own versions of these in similar woods. Now I have one from Dave Anderson (Chester Tools) and one I made myself ..

Planemallet2.jpg

Dave's is brass and LV, and mine is brass and leather ..

Planemallet3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

waterhead37":2hixsofi said:
Chris_belgium":2hixsofi said:
... fine 'tuning' the tenons should be a lot easier with these two planes!

You should have added a couple of nice saws to your early pressie list then you wouldn't need to fine tune them! :lol:

The gate i'm making will have probabably over 50 big (80mm/150mm) M & T joints. Sawing them by hand would take ages :D

I prefer power tools over handtools anyway ( :D running for cover now)

Latest posts

Back