Gordan Ironwood Smoother.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I picked this up at the Yandles Show. It's a wooden smoother plane from Gordan planes, Australia.

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/gor ... snw?Page=1

I bought it as I was after a high angle plane to smooth those pretty but tough grained exotic timbers. The iron in this plane is set at 60 degrees rather than the usual 45 degrees. This gives a more scraping cut that is reputed to give tear-out free cuts on exotic timbers.
Out of the box and first impressions are-
Very nicely made and quite weighty for a relatively small plane. It is made out of Aussie Ironwood, looked a little bit like teak to me, but slightly redder. There is a brass insert in front of the mouth, a wopping 6mm thick iron and a cross bar that slips through a hole across the back of the body.
A quick hone on the very nicely prepared iron and off we go.
Oh yes, I didn't mention that there are NO adjusters on this plane. It's hammer time...... Luckily (?) I recently purchased a Japanese plane and have spent some time using that, so I was able to get to grips with the Gordan quite quickly. Put the plane on a flat piece of timber. Slide in the iron so it sits squarely on the timber. Insert the ironwood wedge and gently tap into position. Check depth of cut and tap the front of the plane to pull the iron in or tap the top of the iron for deeper cuts. Test and when happy tap the wedge tighter.
In use, its a little strange at first it you're used to metal planes. But it is a good feeling, wood against wood. Very little friction. The plane needs to be firmly held behind the iron for best results-this may have something to do with the higher angle of the iron.
Time for a challenge- I love Purpleheart, but it's nasty interlocked grain has me reaching for the belt sander...........
The gordan romped through it, leaving a polished tear-free surface! :D Result!
So, there you go. If you are having trouble with exotic timbers maybe this could be the plane for you?
regards,
Philly

(and yes, I did try the #4 1/2 on the purpleheart. No chance-it tore out left right and centre-regardless of how fine a cut and tight the mouth.......)

Alf,
Spend the money on tools or timber-now that is the dilemma :roll:

I've spent some more time using the plane, it's a different beast to my Cliftons but what it does, it does so well!

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/gor ... otoID=1459

Here's a pic of an offcut of Paduak I planed up last night-this is a really rowed timber, the grain in opposite directions every 2 or 3mm. The Gordon lapped it up though! :shock:

Also, I sent an email to Terry at Gordon planes saying thanks-got a nice reply next day from the man himself. I do like the personal touch! :lol:
keep those shavings coming,
Philly :D

Back