Google UK broken?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that recently, you can click on the UK Only button on Google...only to find out that it doesn't take a blind bit of notice?

Works fine for me, although you have to go many pages through the results before it becomes obvious.

Adam

When you say 'go through many pages' is that because you get a load of .com's first? For that is what I get but Google UK only was supposed to filter out the US stuff.

Roger

Roger, I do not know how the google "pages from the UK" option works but is not safe to assume that all .coms are US based.

Andy

Roger Sinden":170l581o said:
When you say 'go through many pages' is that because you get a load of .com's first? For that is what I get but Google UK only was supposed to filter out the US stuff.

Roger

Ahh, I don't expect it to knock out .com domains names, but give me websites of english businesses, having either .com or .co.uk

As an example type "Yorkshire" into google, adn the top hit is www.yorkshirevisitor.com - as far as I'm concerned thats a valid top hit for searching, either though its got a .com in the title.

If I want a .co.uk address, I'd search for Yorkshire .co.uk

type in

yorkshire .co.uk

exactly as shown, and it gives you all .co.uk sites, but I think that knocks out too many of the "real" sites, which choose a .com name.

Adam

I appreciate that .com doesn't necessarily mean a US company but prices in $$ is a bit of a giveaway :wink: . I entered in 'rotary laser' earlier on today and I could swear that I got a load of US sites but...just repeated the search and now only get UK sites.

It's not just me...my wife gets the same problem on her computer.

Bizarre. Will monitor it more closely.

Roger

dedee":d38ppth1 said:
Roger, I do not know how the google "pages from the UK" option works but is not safe to assume that all .coms are US based.

Andy

.com merely refers to a commercial company, not neccesarily 'murrican

i have never found these 'UK' only search engines to be up to much unless you add loads of qualifiers such as -$ AND +£ or +UK etc.

Roger Sinden":1p9slyrf said:
Have to confess that I've not tried it.

edit: just had a look....looks pretty good.

Roger

Froogle.co.uk is the more useful if you are looking to buy stuff, although at work, we advertise on froogle.com. For some reason, I can't make it work on froogle.co.uk, even though we are registered in the UK.

Adam

One possible reason these UK only filters don't work, is that the actual server the USA website is on might be located in the UK. I think that the search only really narrows down where the server is based.

For tax reasons alot of foreign companies like to use UK servers as they don't get taxed in the UK on income earned from them, unlike other countries which would. I won't carry on with all of the tax reasons, as I've only just joined the forum and don't want to sound really boring already, lets just say for work I have to know about such things, sad I know. But it keeps me out of trouble, and in tool money.

Jel

Back