Google Streetview

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Try it, I think it`s awesome . You can zoom into a letterbox anywhere in the UK.

Koolwabbit

I heard that NI was on Streetview last evening when I was watching the news and it cost me a whole evening because I was looking at everything I could think of. Some good touches - I zoomed in on my mates car workshop and there were 6 cars and 2 people in the picture but the number plates on the cars were obscured and the faces too.

Now, think I'm on it because, as I 'drive' up the country road to my house I think my car is coming towards me but I can't confirm it because, as I get close to the car it disappears from the image. However, there are no cars at my house and I only drive 2 miles a day so the chances that it is me are quite good (I think).

Also, there's a man standing in my driveway with a shoulder bag and some sort of machine in his hand - could that be a Googleite getting a reference on a satellite? He is facing south.

I was also quite pleased that my hedges were cut.

Brendan

BMac":3fo7bjh3 said:
Also, there's a man standing in my driveway with a shoulder bag and some sort of machine in his hand - could that be a Googleite getting a reference on a satellite? He is facing south.

Unlikely, the system is fully integrated. They have a car with 360 camera coverage and a GPS unit. It's all hooked up together so that the location and images are associated with each other as they are taken. They have google tricycle rigs for places that cars aren't permitted - parks etc, although I think it'll take them longer to get coverage of those sorts of places up. It's a slower process to cycle around :)

Thanks bodgermatic,

I will tell my wife my theory was cr@p (that will be a surprise for her!) but now I am wondering who he is. Mmmmm....

Brendan

Three words.

TOO BLOODY INTRUSIVE

On the plus side, it's just added £50k to the value of our house as we can put on the for Sale notice

NOT VISIBLE FROM STREETVIEW!

They havent done my road yet, thank goodness.

Pete

I'm a bit thrown by this now. When it first came out I was disappointed that my house wasn't on it (I live down a country lane with only about 10 houses down the entire 2 miles) but now we are on there and I'm not sure whether I'm happy with it or not...

We have an 8ft wall round the garden and this has managed to take pics over the top into our garden so I'm a bit uncomfortable with that. But I'm not sure why... :?

I spotted the car going down our street past us last year (or even longer I can't remember) and have been looking since then every few weeks to see when they finally processed that street.

To my delight, there is a cracking pic of me and my mate walking out of the office to go to lunch - the surprised/excited faces barely masked by the blurring Google has added!

It does make me feel more for the guy in the States (I think) who was 'googled' pulling up beside some 'ladies of the night' to ask them for the time presumably (in a "have you got the time", "I've got the time if you've got the cash" kind of way). His (and their) faces were masked but if you knew the person already it wouldn't be difficult to identify him. His Google Streetview appearance has been posted on enough forums and blog pages that by the six degrees of separation, someone who knows him must have seen it by now!

Happy Google Day to you all (oh, you mean they haven't invented that yet - they will do, eventually!)

Cheers

Alan

They must have been a hurry to get to the pub when they got to my village - they missed my Close :)

Boz

Brendan - could your mystery visitor have been a courier with one of those touch-screen PDA's that you sign for your parcel with? Or, a 'relief' postie (student) with no uniform? I've had both here today.

Sam

PS Our street view is ancient. At least 2 years old. Belfast, eh?

Hi Sam,

I don't think he was a delivery man because there is no vehicle on the road or in the house. He had a navy blue jacket and bag, could it be the electricity meter man, sometimes they park and walk?

Brendan

Me and the wife have had a lazy day taking trips down memory lane and looking at all the various houses we've lived in over the years.
With our present place Google has produce some lovely views of the hedges, there could be nuclear shelter behind that lot!
One thing that struck us as we journeyed into the past was how lazy some of our successors have been, with no visible alterations to any of the properties, and some sadly neglected.

Roy.

Blue Jacket Brendan? N.I.E. for sure; they all have those bombproof blue gansies round here . Relax, you don't have a stalker or someone casing the joint!

Sam :D :D

Paranoia is still very much alive and kicking! I have found it fascinating, in part marvelling at what technology can create compared to a few short years ago. One useful aspect I think, is being able to see (or not) a business or somewhere where you may be buying unseen, or maybe have to visit. It can give you perhaps a smidgen more confidence in some ways.

Oh, and this old badger is immortalised too - on his bike coming home from work - on The Roundabouts, Minchinhampton

Back