Google mapping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that the Frappr map Alf made ( http://www.frappr.com/oldtooldealersintheuk ) of the UK tool dealers was neat except for the fact that the geocoding of places was so inaccurate. Kirkcaldy for example ends up bizarrely somewhere west of Aberdeen.

Whilst waiting for a delivery of glue which is holding up my workshop activities, I have been playing with the Google maps API to create my own map of UK Tool dealers here http://woodgen.com/dealers.htm

It doesn't really add much to Alf's map but the placing of the markers is accurate and related to the advertised post codes of the various businesses and the info icons, when clicked will show an image - taken from the dealer's site in addition to the dealer's name.

There is an abundance of stuff being published on novel ways of using Google Maps and Frappr is just one such - I should really like to incorporate it in my family history pages but I need to automate it a lot better than any currently available technique I have seen.

It seems pretty clear that Google themselves will be offering much easier ways of using and customising their maps but for anyone tempted to try for themselves, I suggest you view my source code and take it from there.

In IE, the page loads slower than in Firefox due to the way IE caches (or not!) image data. It may look as though nothing is happening for a few secs in IE - but it is, just wait a little longer.

Looks good Chris. I was going to do something similar for wood suppliers. Been playing around with webdev a bit lately as ive had time on my hands. Still, nothing i do is quick :wink:

I'll just go and slink into my technically inept corner... ](*,)

'Cept for two things. One, there's another dealer on there I didn't have - grrr. :evil: And two, it's no good putting The Toolshop, Bosham in Bosham 'cos Chris White's now in Tavistock and it isn't there any more... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":m49lusj1 said:
Kirkcaldy for example ends up bizarrely somewhere west of Aberdeen.

It could have been worse - it could have been somewhere east of Aberdeen.

:D

Gill

Chris, just looking at your code. How do you enter each location? Is there a back end to this system? Or are you just entering the map coords directly into the html?

Tom,

The example there is embedded in the HTM, or strictl speaking in the javascript within the HTM and it is a pain entering the data that way. I am now playing around with XML files for the data - which are easier to batch edit but don't have a very good example running yet - have been short of time. There is plenty of stuff on the web about how to use them with Google maps though.

Good idea Chris.

Alf":2ewe6eht said:
... it's no good putting The Toolshop, Bosham in Bosham 'cos Chris White's now in Tavistock and it isn't there any more

Where in Tavistock do you know?

Cheers

Gidon

thanks chris, i will spend some time researching it... i have some time atm

Any reading recomendations?

gidon":eeav4eg0 said:
Alf":eeav4eg0 said:
... it's no good putting The Toolshop, Bosham in Bosham 'cos Chris White's now in Tavistock and it isn't there any more

Where in Tavistock do you know?
I think he sells at the market, but I'm not sure which days. Last time I spoke to him he claimed his Bosham email was still working though. Hang on, I've got his card somewhere... 'Phone number 01822 810885.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf - there is a chap who sells at the market - lots of old woodworking tools. I always look but they always seem too high priced (at least not the bargains I'm after ;)). The chap is very nice but doesn't seem too knowledgeable which sort of puts me off too. Guess it must be the same chap?
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":kzxvxa3w said:
Thanks Alf - there is a chap who sells at the market - lots of old woodworking tools. I always look but they always seem too high priced (at least not the bargains I'm after ;)). The chap is very nice but doesn't seem too knowledgeable which sort of puts me off too. Guess it must be the same chap?
Dunno; could be. I've found his prices to be pretty good when I've seen him at the Southwest Wood Fair. Not boot sale level of course, but he's a dealer so I wouldn't expect it. Sometimes you need to give a little to indicate you're own interest and knowledge before some of these tool guys really open up; they don't like wasting their precious info on someone who's looking for an Am-Tech spanner set. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

i'm getting there Chris. Can I just ask how you resolve the long/lat addresses out of UK Streetmap?

Alf":39mhyojo said:
gidon":39mhyojo said:
Dunno; could be. I've found his prices to be pretty good when I've seen him at the Southwest Wood Fair. Not boot sale level of course, but he's a dealer so I wouldn't expect it. Sometimes you need to give a little to indicate you're own interest and knowledge before some of these tool guys really open up; they don't like wasting their precious info on someone who's looking for an Am-Tech spanner set. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Weird - I had to take this morning off to look after my son. And decided to venture into Tavvy with him. Who should I see at the Pannier market but Chris White! I've never seen him there before - he's there Tuesdays and Wednesdays only which is probably why. He had a truly lovely selection of hand tools there - and is a great chap to talk to. I was close to buying an old Stanley compass plane with a side wheel adjuster - but it had a little damage and I couldn't bring myself to part with £80 for damaged article. You're right though - his prices seemed pretty good. He's not to be confused with the other bloke who's there on a Saturday. His selection is not quite so appealing.

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back