Google Chrome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using this new browser for a while now and it's got some nice features. I already test sites in Netscape, Orca, Flock, Firefox 3, Safari, Avant and MSIE, so another one was unlikely to surprise, but it's becoming a favourite now.

Ray.

I like the 'Task Manager' Feature. Other than that, I'm happy with FF3

I just saw this and wondered what it was like. Let us know how you get on with it Ray, I may even have a go with it myself.

Dave R":26gkgh4v said:
I read some review that indicated that it can be hard on CPU resources. Have you seen anything of that Argee?
No evidence of that here, Dave. I like the "one window" concept, plus the very tuneable History options. I'd summarise it as clean and uncluttered. I know it's not been around long, but I think I'll use it rather than Firefox 3, due to issues with clearing history in FF3. More later, no doubt. :)

Ray.

Out of interest Ray. Why do you want to clear your internet history? Or rather why regularly?

Nice one Ray, I have just downloaded and am running it as I type, very fast and simple, much obliged to you.

Regards,

Rich. AND it even does a spell check without you asking. :lol:

wizer":32gu1q57 said:
Why do you want to clear your internet history?
It's a habit I got into when forced to share a computer some years ago, old habits die hard. I set my browsers to "clear history on closing" and all was fine, until the advent of FF3.

Now, it's just plain irritating that they can't fix it and - as you might imagine - I don't stay irritated for long! :)

Ray.

hehe, I tend to use history instead of bookmarks. I set the history to 360 days.

Be wary - not all is rosy with Chrome. Hopefully just an oversight?

Brian

EDIT: Now it's been corrected!

The fact that you "confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence." in the EULA as pointed out in the Reg article suggests that it is rather more than an oversight.

edit

Look at section 11.2 of the EULA "You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organisations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services."

So not only do you handover copyright of anything created with google docs (which I'm sure is what they refer to with the copyright statement rather than what they actually say - terrible wording), but you also grant them the right to sell your data and details to their partner services.

Cheers Mike

Here is what my son has to say...........

I have been playing with Google Chrome throughout most of today (while not fighting fires with C#, SQL Server and K2), and thought it might be worth recording them for posterity.

For those who have been either living under a rock, or have some sort of life, “Google Chrome” is the long rumoured web browser from Google. It has been in development for the last two years, with the first public beta being made available yesterday.

It didn’t dawn on me at first why Google should do what they have done - but after discovering two or three key features of Chrome, everything started to fall into place. It’s worth saying right here and now that Microsoft are probably very worried indeed.

* Google Chrome uses tabs just like any other browser - but it assigns each tab it’s own process internally - meaning that one web page cannot crash the entire browser (or at least that’s the theory). Given the time we invest in content authoring within the browser - GMail, Wordpress, Google Docs - this is a very good thing.

* Google Chrome has an entirely new Javascript engine. The dynamic language that modern websites use is becoming a bottleneck, and the engineers at Google realised this. Websites are slowly becoming bigger and more complex - so having a browser that can run them up to 1000% percent faster means the goalposts have been moved. Sites will start doing more, because the browser can handle it.

* Here’s the kicker. Google Chrome has a menu item called “Create Application Shortcut”. This makes an icon on your desktop specific to the webpage you do it from. The resulting window that launches when you click the icon looks for all the world like a Windows application… except of course it’s Chrome, running a website. Think about it. Sandboxed web sites, that look like applications.

I am impressed with Google Chrome. For a beta, and a first version, it is fantastic. What’s more, the entire browser, rendering engine, and javascript engine are fully open source - so you can see how they did everything and even use elements of it yourself if you really want to. Chrome also has Google Gears built in - meaning supporting web applications continue to work when you disconnect the machine from the internet. Very clever.

I’m sure Steve Ballmer will put out a press statement rubbishing Chrome over the next day or two, and then privately start screaming at the Internet Explorer development managers. It’s not going to be pretty.

I will reserve judgement until there is a version compatible with Mac.

Harry

I just think its to much sharing of information.

first google search, and now webbrowser, Just think how much information the are getting hold of you.

Just beware - they have big servers at google :twisted:

I must be 'living under a rock or have a life' as this is the first time I've heard of Google Chrome.

After reading this thread, I think I'll stick with IE/FF and Office and keep my docs and info etc. to myself (though they'd find my 'web history' pretty thin as I have better things to do with my time than 'surf' the web :) )

Has Google had a change of heart. :lol: :lol:

Google tweaks Chrome licence text

Google has rescinded an article of the user agreement for its new browser, Chrome, released on Tuesday.

The initial agreement claimed rights over "any Content which you submit, post or display on or through" the browser.

Google reworded the agreement on Wednesday, leaving those rights in the hands of Chrome's users.

Twas just a case of lazy lawyering after all then :)

Cheers Mike

mr":3pzolg3q said:
Twas just a case of lazy lawyering after all then :)

Cheers Mike

Possibly over zealous one-eyed lawyering - effective clause from a narrow point of view, but a bad wider outcome for the client. It could also be "lazy clienting" by Google.

More likely still, they thought they would get away with it and that's what they wanted the lawyers to put in there - it's not like they are the world's greatest respecter of intellectual property rights.

Back