Google Chrome - removing URL entries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Chrome has one feature which is both a curse and a boon. Namely the predictive URL feature when you type anything into the address box. Now this can get embarrassing if there are any sites that you don't want to show up when SWMBO is looking over your shoulder. They could point to that website where you just bought her that present from...or other sites :-"

I searched high and low on the web to find a way to delete these. I found many people asking the same questions but most of the solutions were from people who clearly hadn't bothered to read the original question. Clearing History was one favourite. Nowt to do with History. Clearing Google Web History...nowt to do with that either. Turning off Predictive URL's in Chrome Settings made not a blind bit of difference. Deleting them from your bookmarks.....nowt to do with that either.

Finally I found the answer (at least for the Mac). When you start to enter something into the address box and Chrome gives you the list of suggested URLs (where the one you want to delete sits) then down-arrow until it is highlighted (but don't hit return otherwise Chrome will think that that is the webpage you want). Then hit Shift-FN-delete et voila, Hastings, it disappears.

Hope that might help some of you from tearing out your hair.

Doesn't Chrome have a private surfing mode? most other browsers have.

Pete

The private surfing setting is called Incognito and is accessed from the customize and control icon (top right hand icon) or Control+Shift+N keyboard shortcut

Yes I know about incognito but it is a pain to have to keep going back and forth. It never was much of a problem from a history perspective as one could easily go back and clear history for the past hour say or even individual items. No, it was the stickiness of the URL box that was the problem for me.

Back