Goodwoodturning magazine.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up my goodwoodworking magazine last night around 7pm, and read the article by Philly (very good) and thought the cramps displayed by Steeve would come in useful but then all I found was:

woodturning, woodturning, woodturning etc.

then some DIY guttering and some political editorial type stuff(re Africa etc)

So think goodwoodworking should definately be renamed .

Thank goodness I have only two issues to go.

Decided to use the subscrition towards woodworking books at Amazon..

Yes, I am going to review my subscriptions. There is not enough info, projects etc. If I want to see adverts, and low cost column fillers I can do that without buying a magazine. I think the remaining router magazine, F & C, and Traditional Woodworking will be the only survivors, if nothing quickly changes in the others.

devonwoody":24cyew3p said:
only two issues to go.
That's a coincidence...

Cheers, Alf

Edit: I was gonna be good and not say any more, but last night while attempting to read it I noticed the following line:
Tip for Drawers
Rather than make your own drawers...
Huh?! :-s

devonwoody":9gutd22m said:
woodturning, woodturning, woodturning etc.

Not sure if you are being entirely fair DW, but I do know what you mean.

Aside from Philly's cabinet, everything else seemed to be under a double page.

One thing to bear in mind is that we have all seen and rightly praised Philly's cabinet on this forum so there is an 'already seen it' mindset when publishing occurs. If you hadn't been aware of it before, then I imagine that this would have had a much more positive effect on overall views. Its certainly better than F&C's project this month

What was the guttering thing all about! Plus if you are going to stick freebies in (Dust bubbles), at least say how much they cost!

Cutting through the layout changes, I'm not sure how much has actually changed even if it is only early days.

So think goodwoodworking should definately be renamed .

I thought it had been!! Is it just me or does the constant referral to the magazine as 'Good Wood' grate big time with others.

Thank goodness I have only two issues to go.

Decided to use the subscrition towards woodworking books at Amazon..

DW, I can understand your thought re spending the money on books (although it won't go that far and they all seem to have the first third filled with 'which tools to use' which is annoying).

Jury still out re subscription renewal but its telling that I don't even question the renewal dates for Fine Woodworking and PWW.

Cheers

Tim

Gosh it's nice to open up the forum on a Sunday evening to find one's hard work ravaged. Fortunately there are positive souls out there who are somewhat more encouraging and have used rather more tactful ways to inform us of what we do right and wrong. We will learn, we will develop, but we will not give up.

Tim, perhaps if you ask other people to Dare to Fail and Dare to Succeed you might be a little bit more sensitive when editors do exactly that but don't reach your expectations.

Regarding the issue, I had some uncertainties about there being too much turning, and thought that guttering might be drifting too far from our remit. Everyone knows, though, that you only learn what you can and can't do by pressing the boundaries. I apologise to anyone who feels cheated. It was my fault entirely.

As to the feature about Africa: well words fail me. There can be few causes more worthy of support after the hype has died down, though of course I recognise there are plenty of readers who do their own thing through action and donations and don't need any further suggestions. Sorry if you are one of those and would have preferred another project over those pages.

This may well be my last contribution and visit to this thread as I find it too exhausting and time-consuming to constantly justify my actions and decisions, not to mention the extremely hard work put in by Pete, Andy, Steve, Phil, Christian, Jan, John and our loyal contributors.

If you have some comments that will help us develop and improve Good Woodworking, please email me privately at the email address below. I promise that we do listen to what is said, and try our very best to meet the expectations of all our many readers.

Though I have previously encouraged feedback, I never envisaged this sort of mutual public bashing. I am now very tempted to advise the team not to follow this sort of thread as the harm to our morale far outweighs any lessons we learn. I now know why sportsfolk say that they don't read the papers.

I hope your Sunday evening has been as happy as a few of you have just made mine!

Nick
[email protected]

So DW, just where are all these woodturning articles? I tried counting pure woodturning projects and could get that many. Might be a bit biased but I like to see some woodturning and I thought the balance was just right.
The guttering article may have been a bit out of place but the rest of the mag had a great diversity of information and interest that is what I like in a magazine.

I would like to point out as well that I find it a shame that it is far more likely for people to post whinges rather than praises. I don't like seeing threads like this as I always feel that they are rather one-sided and not very representative.

Anyway, I for one say that I like the new look and I'm looking forward to see how things progress.

Cheers,
Barry

Ramblings about GWW

Fine lines / or are they?

I have thought about the past and present threads about the Good Woodworking magazine. To anyone who would listen, I certainly have expressed my views about what I look for in a woodworking magazine.

And I admit that I am totally ignorant concerning the past and present form and content of this particular magazine. I haven't ever seen it in either form.

However, is there a line that has been crossed here? Oh not a line that says we can or cannot speak up concerning likes and dislikes. But how we say it? A forum does make it easy to speak my mind. But, would I say some of these things to their face, or to them in front of their spouse? In a public space? Would I say it in the same way? Would I engage in a more constructive dialog? Would I listen to the replies and seek to understand?

I realize that if I post something here concerning a design and ask for feedback, I should hope I get it. Now let's say I revise it and resubmit it. What would the reception be if I didn't take a number of the recommendations to heart? I sincerely doubt it would be in the same manner as has occurred with GWW. I would hope not, anyway.

I realize there is a difference--GWW wants your money. You are invested in the quality of the magazine to a small degree. When a magazine no longer meets our needs, can we understand it is still trying to meet someone else's?

If Nick had never joined this forum I probably wouldn't have cared about this talk. I may not have read it. I may have thrown in my two pennies worth of what I would like to see in a magazine.

But unlike most any other magazine, they have come here and become members--some of the contributors have been for some time--and asked for input. Constructive input. I now care about this magazine--these people behind it. Why? Because they have dared to expose themselves and asked for help in making a thing better. Isn't that we all are here for? To sometimes ask for help? To sometimes be able to give a hand in thought or deed?

What about these forum members that have contributed to the magazine. They've been a tad silent. What is this criticism like from their perspective? They've wasted their effort? Time wasted plugging holes in a leaking dike while we all walk away?

It is one thing to choose to not continue a paying subscription, it might well be another to cut off the opportunity to make GWW better.

I don't know. I've been up again too late for too many nights. Take this for what it's worth: an outsider's perspective.

I liked the Africa article, it was an interesting read and I think it's place was well deserved in a Magazine about woodworking.

The guttering article, I agree, was way off topic. But personally I found it interesting even though it's something I could have managed on my own.

With regards to woodturning. It interests me, however turning is not something I plan to get my head round properly for some time (maybe years). Being a woodworking beginer I prefer the woodworking articles.

I think GWW is improving.

This is all personal opinion.

PS Thanks GWW for 40p off 'Yours' Magazine - The UK's Leading magazine for women over 50! :shock:

Chuckle :p

Back