Goodman....4th Edition?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have heard that Jane Rees is preparing a 4th Edition of the book British Panemkers from 1700 .. Anybody know anything about this?

It's true - I rang Classic Hand Tools a while ago, fruitlessly looking for a copy of the third edition, and was told this. When it will actually appear is still not clear though. I believe she has been working on it for some time.

Her website at http://www.reestools.co.uk/books.html says

"British Planemakers from 1700. 3rd Edition

Currently out of print. A 4th edition is on its way, but is unlikely to be completed for a couple of years yet."

I've only got a 2nd Edition - I wonder how many they will print of the 4th taking into account the demand for the 3rd?

Rod

It would be an ideal title to publish as 'Print on Demand' - if the third edition had been published that way we'd all have copies and the book itself would not have become an expensive collectable.

Jane is hopefully still keen to include a set of really rare Plane-makers planes I have showed her, but as yet they have eluded her camera :wink:
Must get round to sorting it out with her as it would be a shame for them to be missed out.....
She had previously said that the Gabriel re-print was consuming her time, so now it's out, perhaps things will happen 8)

Mind you, I ought to get me rs into gear an tek some mesen :roll:

Cheers
Andy

toolsntat":1lzlq2tg said:
Jane is hopefully still keen to include a set of really rare Plane-makers planes I have showed her, but as yet they have eluded her camera :wink:
Must get round to sorting it out with her as it would be a shame for them to be missed out.....
She had previously said that the Gabriel re-print was consuming her time, so now it's out, perhaps things will happen 8)

Mind you, I ought to get me rs into gear an tek some mesen :roll:

Cheers
Andy

Now that really is teasing us!
Are you really saying that you have a set of plane maker's planes and have not taken photos and put them up on here?
What do we need to do to persuade you? PLEASE SHOW US!!

[For anyone wondering what this is all about, have a read of the one detailed description of how to make the accurate dovetailed housings needed on a boxed fillister plane, written by WJ Armour, published in the weekly periodical "Work" and reproduced here: http://www.handplane.com/35/practical-plane-making-part-iv/.]

Last time I spoke to Jane about the 4th edittion, she said something about using actual photos of the makers marks, so maybe if we all bombard her with images of any stamps we have it might speed up the process. Or perhaps thats just wishefull thinking on my part!!!

AndyT":1cmkfz1b said:
toolsntat":1cmkfz1b said:

Now that really is teasing us!
Are you really saying that you have a set of plane maker's planes and have not taken photos and put them up on here?
What do we need to do to persuade you? PLEASE SHOW US!!

[For anyone wondering what this is all about, have a read of the one detailed description of how to make the accurate dovetailed housings needed on a boxed fillister plane, written by WJ Armour, published in the weekly periodical "Work" and reproduced here: http://www.handplane.com/35/practical-plane-making-part-iv/.]

Mmmmmm, sorry :oops: :oops: :oops: #-o
Must get on to it :roll:
Alas none of the boxing kit, more to do with WEDGES,MOTHERS,CHAMFERS and SHOULDERS :wink:
Right, where's me "box brownie" :lol:

Andy

I have - it's excellent - I guess I ought to write a bit of a review, if there's interest.

Latest posts

Back