Good woodworking Mag - for adults only?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
My good lady bought me a copy of the said mag because she read the word 'Jack planes' and remembered I had uttered something similar once. On getting to the check-out she was asked if she was over 18. Now Val qualified for a bus pass just a wee while ago, so was somewhat surprised by the question. On asking why such info was required she was told " Because the magazine may contain pictures of blades, and it was only for sale to adults." Thank goodness she didn't buy "Gun Mart" she would have triggered an Armed Response Unit. Has a well known national newsagents gone completely daft, or do they think a photo of a naked chisel is going to increase 'knife culture' and mass stabbings.

I told her to cancel my magazine subs from that store as I wont support such a stupid organization.

Gareth

t8hants":10mng31v said:
On getting to the check-out she was asked if she was over 18. Now Val qualified for a bus pass just a wee while ago,

and you are knocking this make the most of it, been a long time since some asked my wife if she is over 18, they normally ask if there is an away day from the home and is the mini bus far away so she does not have to walk to far (poor thing she is only 47) hee hee hee :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: boy she would kill me if she read this :evil: :evil:

Well, they can't be too careful, you know. Images of exposed tangs and chests of drawers with no finish on could seriously corrupt some poor, innocent teenager. (If there is such an animal as an innocent teenager these days.) As as for all those gorgeous curvatious vintage saw handles....

Seriously - probably just a slightly less than brilliant assistant that's just been on an Awareness Course of some sort. Reality will shortly be re-established by a string of sarcastic remarks from pee'd-off customers.

I'll bet the store in question may have two initials followed by a 6 letter word as a name. I can say this because if you use there self serve tills it prompts staff to come and verify your age before completing your purchase happened to me with British woodworking and woodworking plans and projects.

the problem of course is that if an assistant does not verify an age issue they could be liable for dismissal under the company rules and or the possibility of being sued etc etc etc. sadly its the country and the time we`re living in they probably don`t give a tinkers fart about how old someone is. but given what people become liable for these days i feel sorry for some of them put into that position.
all the best
rob

I was asked at the Supermarket if I was over 18, when getting my weekly baccy. I assumed she must have been talking about weight in stones....'How very dare you' I said, I'll have you know I'm big boned. :)

Tis true about being asked, I was gob smacked and the woman behind me started laughing.

Probably she was bored and having a personal and private dig at the powers that come up with these rules and make her job just that little more interesting, voicing her own protest. Surely somebody can't be that HSE conscious??

Andy

It's the gradual erosion of trust in staff coupled with the "let's sue!" attitude I think. **

Hourly paid minimum wage till staff aren't trusted or trained properly (or empowered enough to decide that someone who may be quite old doesn't need to prove they're over 18) so Da Management impose an overly strict set of rules that err on the far side of the safe side...

Various pubco's and supermarkets adopted a "Challenge 21" scheme - the staff had to ask anyone who looked under 21 for proof of age when buying a lager and lime shandy top.

** and in the case of the alcohol/lotto retailers "let's prosecute the easy targets after baiting them with a 17 year old who just happens to look 23"

My grandson who is 16 was stopped from buying a can
of ginger beer even tho he pointed out the alcohol content
was o
Its a sad world.

This is another case of government over reaction.

If the idiots in gangs want a knife they will steal one, so the law makes no sense except for scoring the government scoring brownie points.

Now it illegal to by a knife if you are under 18.

So this means it is now impossible for any youngster to start in a trade such as the building industry, furniture industry, catering until they are 18 as they can't buy the tools they need for the job without breaking the law and thus getting a criminal record.

Is it any wonder there are a lot of 16 to 18 year old kids unemployed.

I am increasingly of the opinion the all civil servants and government employees should have to take an exam in common sense and stop making daft rules up so the can keep their jobs.

This country is becoming more and more stupid and it is no wonder we are now behind Brazil in the world.

Very soon we will not be allowed to wipe our own backsides in case we get a paper cut off the loo roll.

TOM

When was the last time you heard of an assault where the weapon of choice was a finely honed Ashley isles 3/4" bevel edged chisel? Or do we now have selective thugs for whom the average Stanley knife isn't good enough?

tomatwark":65vu6mgs said:
This is another case of government over reaction.

If the idiots in gangs want a knife they will steal one, so the law makes no sense except for scoring the government scoring brownie points.

Now it illegal to by a knife if you are under 18.

So this means it is now impossible for any youngster to start in a trade such as the building industry, furniture industry, catering until they are 18 as they can't buy the tools they need for the job without breaking the law and thus getting a criminal record.

Is it any wonder there are a lot of 16 to 18 year old kids unemployed.

I am increasingly of the opinion the all civil servants and government employees should have to take an exam in common sense and stop making daft rules up so the can keep their jobs.

This country is becoming more and more stupid and it is no wonder we are now behind Brazil in the world.

Very soon we will not be allowed to wipe our own backsides in case we get a paper cut off the loo roll.

TOM

Tom,

If the law was drafted correctly, this possibility would have been taken into account, and the Act would be worded with the usual proviso:

Such and such is Unlawful, if any person under the age of 18 (Onus of proof lies with the person) 'without Lawful Authority or reasonable excuse.' does... whatever!

The Act would then go on to define Lawful Authority, and reasonable excuse (Although 'reasonable excuse' is not always defined. So it's up to the shopkeeper in this instance.) So an apprentice buying tools would fall within the proviso, and might even be mentioned in the Act itself.

This proviso applies to a Police Officer, on duty, who may carry an offensive weapon, in a Public Place. It sounds obvious, but it has to be mentioned and written into the Statutes themselves.

I am sure this proviso would apply in the legislation you mention. It's more likely, thick shopkeepers are not getting proper advice from their equally thick legal advisors. :wink:

deserter":15s348s5 said:
When was the last time you heard of an assault where the weapon of choice was a finely honed Ashley isles 3/4" bevel edged chisel? Or do we now have selective thugs for whom the average Stanley knife isn't good enough?

It was a 2" Marples chisel in the case I dealt with. The IP survived, but it was a close call.

Carpenters have spats, and just like anyone else, they often pick up whatever is to hand! Not always the proper tool for the job; just like when we are working! :mrgreen:

:wink:

I recall back in the day when Good Woodworking gave away a free utility knife on the cover; a screwdriver too. Unthinkable now. Shame, because they both actually proved to be rather useful little tools and I have them both to this day. Funny how legislating to deal with the evilly-minded minority always seems to effect everyone else but them.

I would love to get asked about my age with a copy of Playboy in my hand!

My previous response to a question of age is "if you are old enough to sell it then I'm old enough to buy it". That brings the inquisition to a halt.

Did anyone see the report of the bus driver who refused to continue as it 'was unsafe to do so,' as someone had spilt some coffee?
One of the ladies in our local Tesco, who's known us for years asked me if I was over 18, with a loud giggle I might add.

Roy.

John

You are probably right, that there will be some sort of provision for this, it would be interesting to know though if you used that excuse to a policeman in some of the areas where knife crime is high, if they would let you go on your way or throw you in a back of a van and take you down the nick.

It would also be interesting to know if there are any statistics to show if this law has made any real difference to knife crime, or if any real improvement is down to better policing.

You are also right that most of the problems are caused by the stores, mainly to protect themselves against sting operations by trading standards or law suits from buy one get one free solicitors.

I just feel that this country is becoming more and more of a nanny state, and some of these laws and regulations we seem to have obey in personal and business life should be looked at and clarified, so that the stores and businesses knew were they stood without having to worry about some sharp suited lawyer trying to sue them because a call centre has passed on a stupid claim.

Tom

Back